Makeup Brushes 101: Must-Haves & Cleaning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

There’s a trick to every trade, and, for makeup artists, flawless application starts with the proper brushes. Just as a painter requires brushes to create a masterpiece, collegiettes need a strong collection of makeup brushes for shimmering eyes and glowing skin. The brushes we use to apply our makeup are just as important, if not more important, than the actual makeup itself. Brushes last for years if properly cared for, so investing in a collection is absolutely worth the money.

It’s totally understandable that the makeup brush display can seem overwhelming at first. How do we know which brushes are absolutely essential and which ones should be left to the pros? Her Campus has narrowed down everything you need to know about brushes: must-haves, optional brushes, and a guide to proper cleaning!

FACE:

1. Powder Brush: This is an absolute essential. A fluffy powder brush works great for a light sprinkling of powder for minimal coverage or for blotting oil.

2. Kabuki Brush: This works great for buffing powder into the skin! Whether for powder or bronzer, a kabuki brush always does the trick.

3. Blush Brush: A smaller version of the powder brush and a traditional favourite. It works amazingly for every shade of blush to achieve that pinch of colour on the apples of your cheeks.

4. Contour Brush: An optional brush, most useful for a night out. This helps to chisel cheekbones Kim K style.

5. Fan Brush: Another optional facial brush, which works to highlight a shimmering powder on the high points of your cheekbones and brow bones.

EYES:

1. Shader Brush: An essential brush for packing eyeshadow on the lid for an all-over wash of colour.

2. Crease Brush: A dome-shaped essential brush to deepen the crease of your eye with darker shadow, especially for going out.

3. Blending Brush: An optional brush for collegiettes who love a smoldering smokey eye. This brush is more tapered than the crease brush and works perfectly to blend shadows together to avoid any harsh lines.

4. Angled Brush: An optional brush for those collegiettes who fill in their eyebrows or line their eyes with shadow. An angled brush allows precise application and comes in handy more than you would initially think.

CLEANING:

For a deep brush cleaning, pour a few drops of olive oil on a paper towel to loosen the hard to reach makeup. Next, mix a few drops of baby shampoo and water in a cup. Swirl the brush in the cup and rinse in cold water to remove all remaining makeup.

Pro Tip: Let the brushes dry laying flat on a table! Letting them dry upright causes the water to seep to the casing, which could loosen the glue holding the bristles in place.

Take care of your makeup brushes, collegiettes!

Olivia Di Pede

Wilfrid Laurier

Olivia is a fourth year English major with the Management Option at Wilfrid Laurier University and a Style Blogger for Her Campus. In her free time she can be found taking yoga classes, scavenging Sephora and creating content for her personal lifestyle blog. She is a perpetual reader, frequent dancer and lover of the sea. Follow her on instagram @oliviadipede and follow her journey at http://oliviadipede.com
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem