Live, Work and Play in Disney!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Disney World is hands-down the most magical place on earth. It’s a common fact that almost every collegiette has a favourite Disney movie or princess they identify with no matter their age, but have you ever thought about working in Disney? Well, this dream can easily be a reality if you know where to apply. Look no further! Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier recently sat down with four girls who had the opportunity to fly to Disney World and spend the summer working through the Disney Cultural Exchange Program. Talk about the opportunity of a lifetime! 

Emma, Rebecca, Steph and Emily all had the best summers of their lives through Disney and they are here to share some of their most magical memories with you. If this doesn’t make you want to apply, you may need to revisit some childhood memories and come back for a re-read! 

Her Campus: Why did you want to go on the Disney Exchange Program?

Emily: I wanted to enhance my leadership, communication and teamwork abilities. I wanted to be exposed to new cultures, and experience a period of time that will enrich my life with an abundance of opportunities to get involved and I knew that Disney provided that.

I wanted to be a part of the Disney magic, be the person to create the magical moment for that one family and know that somehow I will always be a part of their vacation experience, creating a smile whenever they recall their trip at Disney and remember the moment.

Her Campus:  Will you share a story with us about your time in Disney?  

Steph: I was proposed to in Disney, and although I was a cast member, I got to experience the extra lengths that the other cast members will go to in order to ensure your experience is truly magical! They helped organize a photographer to capture the entire thing and wait for us in order to take pictures after the proposal throughout the park. All of the cast members at the restaurant that weren’t busy came out to watch and congratulate us and celebrate with us!

The photographer went around to different places with us to make sure to get the photos that we really wanted to have to remember the night. Disney helped organize VIP spots to watch the fireworks and they gave us a certificate that is signed by Tinkerbell saying that we had a ‘certifiably Magical Moment’, and we both then received Mickey and Minnie ear hats that had our names stitched on the back.

Her Campus: What was your most memorable moment?

Emma: My most memorable moment while working at Disney was while working at Stage One Company Store at the Hollywood Studios. A young girl had come in dressed in full Princess attire and I went up and tapped her on the shoulder and asked her for a royal autograph. Seeing her face light up, and hearing her tell her parents that I called had called her a princess, warmed my heart and made the long hours and insanely hot temperatures completely worth it.

Rebecca: My most memorable moment from my time in Disney is not moments itself, because there were too many of those, but the memorable people that I met during my time in Disney. I met some amazing people from all over the world doing this program and we still keep in touch. You never know how just three months can lead you to meet a great friend, a cool dude from Australia that teaches you how to surf, or an American boy who turns out to be the love of your life. My most memorable moment is meeting these people that made my Disney experience that much better.  

Her Campus: What piece of advice would you offer future applicants?

Emma: Be yourself. Disney hires based on personality and your ability to fulfill their image. If you are in love with Disney and passionate about making magic for guess then you’re golden.

Emily: For future applicants, I would advise them to keep an open mind!!! Remain positive, motivated when times are stressful. Sometimes you think that working at Disney is not worth it when you deal with impatient guests, but know that the one family you have a good experience with in your day of frustration; will remind you why it’s so important to be a part of what Disney gives to it’s guests. 

Steph: Definitely be prepared to work a lot of late shifts and long hours, although some things cost less in Florida you have a lot of expenses, so making sure that you are earning enough to be comfortable and healthy – along with that, be prepared to come out of the experience not having earned a lot of money

Her Campus: What is something you learned about yourself during your Disney experience?

Rebecca: After successfully completing my program, I learned that I wanted to do so much more as a student. Not even two months after my return home from Disney, I joined Alpha Phi Women’s Fraternity, an on campus Greek organization that led me to meet some of the best women I’ve ever known. I’ve learned that if I step outside my comfort zone and do things like work at Disney, it will lead me to bigger and better things that will make me an overall better person.

Steph: I learned that I cannot do everything. Although I wanted to be able to spend as much time as I could at the parks, or with friends etc. working long weeks really wears you down after a while and as much as you want/need the money and you think you can do it all, you really do need to take breaks every now and then and remember that you don’t have to do everything.

It also takes a long time to stop pointing with two fingers (that is the Disney point) and to not refer to all females you meet as princesses!

Emma: In order to be a fully-fledged cast member, you undergo a tremendous amount of training. Your first day is called Traditions, where, at Disney University, you are taught about the history and tradition of Disney Magic. Sitting in that classroom, I was overwhelmed with how lucky I was to be able to help make the magic that brings happiness to millions of people every year.

Her Campus: What is something you will take away from your experience?

Emily: Disney World is so big, yet so small. You develop amazing relationships with other cast members; working everyday together, going to the parks and creating magical moments in your work location together are memories that will have a lasting impact on my life.

To apply for the Disney Exchange program, click hereFor more information on other programs that Disney World offers, view this website.Have a Magical day!

Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.