Lingerie is Not Just “For The Boys”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

People often believe that women wear lingerie to please men, but I am here to tell you all the reasons why wearing lingerie promotes body positivity and all the options that there are out there!

The More Confident You, Feel the Better the Sex

This is something that is extremely important. Lingerie can make women feel like they are powerful and sexy, and the more confidence they have in their own skin, the better the sexual encounters will be with their partner.

Body Inclusive

There is the notion that lingerie only looks good on super model bodies. WRONG. There are so many different stores and avenues that carry sizes for every body type, so every woman has somewhere to shop. Regardless of size, every woman deserves to feel sexy.

No Pressure

You get to decide when and if you wear lingerie, so you hold all the power. If it’s something that you are into, that’s great, but you also have the option of deciding if it’s not really your thing.

Spices Things Up

Whether you’re dating someone long term, short term, or just casually hooking up, lingerie definitely adds to your sex life. You are deciding what mood you’re in that night and it will definitely be a nice surprise for your partner.

So Many Options

There is something for everyone and the choices are endless. You can work with colours that suit you best and fabrics that you think are the most flattering on your body! Below you’ll find a list of the most popular styles that are sold worldwide.

Corsets

Corsets are probably the most uncomfortable out of all the styles, but the look is definitely worth it. Usually, they have a back that is fully accessible and it keeps your entire body in place. You can also opt in for panties with garters to have the look go from head to toe.

Babydolls

Babydolls offer a graduated look of a matching bra and panty. These outfits usually entail a bra with an attached sheer material that measures in length to about your bellybutton. You can opt for a push up bra, wireless or entirely lace look, and have many options when picking a style!

Bodysuits

Bodysuits are great because you have the option to be incredibly revealing or to have a decent amount of coverage. There are a wide variety of options in terms of materials, sheerness, cuts and colours. Also, a super awesome thing is if you get one that is socially acceptable you can swap it in for a shirt to wear to the bar! (I’m sure your mother would not approve, but that’s fine)

Slips

Slips give the idea that you are trying to look sexy but also want to be super comfortable. Slips are a mix of a bodysuit and a babydoll. There is more coverage, but they are usually silk, have a plunging neck line and are very short. Slips are also wireless, which offers way more comfort when diving into bed.

Emma Grace

Wilfrid Laurier

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.