This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

There is a preconceived notion that you must have sex in the dark and that it’s just the best way to do it. But, here’s a few reasons why having sex with the lights on can spice up your sex life, and benefit you!

You Can Actually See Each Other 

The worst thing you could ever do is spend money on a cute matching bra and panty set just for your partner to not even get to take it in. With the lights on, you get to appreciate each other a little more, rather than just seeing a blob in the dark. 

Body Confidence 

Sex is basically as intimate as you can get, and showing off your body is a way to boost your confidence, as well as your partner’s! You should never be ashamed of or try to hide parts of your body, and by having some lights on, you’re enabling yourself to be vulnerable, confident and sexy. 

Condoms 

Have you heard the horror stories of people putting on condoms inside out or just straight up struggling??? I definitely have, and the thought of that is just traumatizing. If you keep the lights on, these terrible possibilities vanish, and you can continue the rest of your night worry-free. 

Sex Injuries 

We’ve all been there: smashing a body part against the wall, falling off the bed, or maybe even knocking something over. Having the lights on can help you avoid these awkward moments, and keeps your night free of accidents. 

Connection

Your connection with your partner can grow immensely by being able to see each other. You can see how they are reacting to what you are doing and vice versa. This is an easy way to observe what they are really into, what you could do differently, and if you are both enjoying yourselves! 

Trying Something New 

Trying a new position or toy in bed is a lot easier when you can see what you are doing. There is nothing worse than uncomfortable and confusing sex. It makes it clearer what methods work best for you, and if you’re actually doing something right! 

If you are still feeling unsure, do know that you don’t have to keep your massive main light on. There are other options! You can try leaving Christmas lights or a lamp on and see how the night turns out. It is not as daunting as everyone makes it sound, and can improve an already great sex life!

Emma Grace

Wilfrid Laurier

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.