Life can be a roller coaster ride, am I right? As a university student, the only thing I can truly count on is my Internet’s ability to provide me wifi that’s good enough to watch my favourite television series- Sex and The City. Not only is this show #GirlSquadGoals, but it has given me some of the best advice to take through life, thanks to the main characters: Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda. Allow me to show you what I mean by giving you the series’ top 10 quotes to live by.
1. “Don’t play hard to get with a man who’s hard to get.” – Samantha
If you’re looking for advice on how to handle your love life, look no further than Samantha. Her vivacious character radiates independence and she teaches us wise words to live by- no man, no cry! This quote is one of my favs because it shows us that when it comes to relationships you shouldn’t have to work so hard to find happiness. Relationships should be fun and it should be easy to get along with your significant other. What’s meant to be will happen eventually, so don’t risk getting your Manolos stuck in the gutter chasing after some man who you’d be better off without.
2. “When it comes to relationships, maybe we’re all in glass houses, and shouldn’t throw stones. Because you can never really know. Some people are settling down, some are settling and some people refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies…” – Carrie
This is another amazing relationship quote to live by. It goes to show that we shouldn’t judge others’ relationships, even our own. In order to be in a successful, loving relationship, you need to do what makes you happy and be with who makes you happy. Your significant other should always give you the butterflies, remember that. Without these things, your glass house will shatter.
3. “They say nothing lasts forever; dreams change, trends come and go, but friendships never go out of style.” – Carrie
Hands down one of my favourite quotes to live by. Friendships are something to be cherished day in and day out. Your favourite shirt may go out of style, but your best friends never will. Let’s all take a moment and give a shout out to our best friends for always being our ride or dies.
4. “The most exciting, challenging, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone to love the you, you love, well, that’s just fabulous.” -Carrie
Always put yourself first. Not in some narcissistic way, but in a way that ensures you will go through life happy, healthy, confident and feeling super fierce. Love yourself before you go loving someone else because self-love and acceptance is the most coveted form of love you can ever dream of having.
5. “Will you please not use the F-word in Vera Wang?” -Charlotte
We all need to be Charlotte every once in a while. Be a lady in the streets but a freak… you know the rest. Do your best to carry yourself with poise and elegance, but know it’s ok to let your guard down once in a while.
6. “I like my money where I can see it- hanging in my closet.” -Carrie
Carrie’s closet…oh, the envy. My life goal is to be Carrie, ok?! Being successful doesn’t mean making money and buying clothes, but if you’re anything like me, it kind of does- doesn’t it?? Who doesn’t love a good shoe coma?
7. “Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be.” -Carrie
This is super important to remember. Don’t let your past keep you from having a successful future. Our past need only is a lesson learned. In order to really grow and evolve, we need to look towards the future and keep the past as a distant memory.
8. “Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course we wouldn’t fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it’s comforting to know that the ones you love are always in your heart.” – Carrie
Our mistakes help shape us as a person. Although it may seem like they’re bringing us down, they’re actually building us up to be stronger. You wouldn’t be the person you are today without your mistakes, so cheers to Carrie for showing us that it’s ok to be imperfect.
9. “Beauty is fleeting, but a rent-controlled apartment overlooking the park is forever.” – Carrie
Ok, I really connected to this quote on a deeper level. Beauty isn’t everything (outer, not inner), so as long as you have a kick-ass apartment in New York City, your life will always be beautiful. This is the kind of life advice I like- blunt and to the point.
10. “Life gives you lots of chances to screw up which means you have just as many chances to get it right.” – Carrie
If you’re going to take anything away from reading this, take this quote with you- forever. Life is going to be a bumpy ride, but who doesn’t like a little adventure every now and again? You’re going to make mistakes, but you’re also going to decisions that will change your life for the better. Life is what you make it, so have fun along the journey!
Hope you enjoyed a few of my favourite quotes from my favourite series! If Sex and The City taught me anything, it’s that life is equal parts sex and equal parts city.