This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you grew up like me, then your mom (or another female figure in your life) raised you to be independent, confident and self-assured. They allowed you to make your own choices so that you would be prepared for the real world in the future. All they want is for us to grow, discover, experience and learn how to take care of ourselves.

Sometimes it can be difficult to remember what they’ve taught us when life gets in the way, whether it’s school, work, relationships or anything else that life seems to throw at you while you’re trying to be your best self. You had to teach yourself a lot of lessons during the awkward and confusing transition into adulthood. Everything is a learning experience. Everything is meant to teach you something about yourself.

If I am lucky enough to have a daughter in the future and if there is anything I would want her to know, it’s these simple rules of life:

Being vulnerable does not make you weak

Women are naturally empathetic creatures. We feel a lot of things and sometimes we can feel vulnerable to the situation we’re faced with. But we are not weak because we feel so deeply; our feelings make us stronger.

Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional

We all experience pain. Don’t dwell on it and don’t stop living your life because of it. Let it take you and let it teach you.

Instead of chasing perfection, embrace imperfection

Perfection is subjective. Be your own version of it.

People deserve a second chance

But remember, there is no such thing as a third or fourth chance. Don’t let people take advantage of you.

Happiness is not a permanent state

Wholeness and wellness are. Take care of yourself so that you can feel good, physically and mentally.

Be open to saying yes…but know when to give a firm NO

You can miss out on a lot if you never say yes. But sometimes it’s okay to say no. And sometimes you should.

Read and watch the classics

Okay, this may be a little biased coming from a history and English student, but they are classics for a reason. There’s a lot to learn from them and they have a transforming influence on the reader’s self-awareness.

Don’t let school be the “best years of your life”

School is school; it is meant for learning and experiencing but these should NOT be the best years of your life.

Women are your allies, NOT your competition

This common misconception that women need to dislike each other was probably introduced by a member of the male species and we are not here for it anymore. This is the 21st century. Women are friends now. Get over it, boys.

Lastly…

Follow your heart… but take your common sense with you

Love freely, but follow your intuition. If something doesn’t feel right to you, then it probably isn’t.

Sometimes all you need is a fresh reminder that you’ve got this. All the power lies with us and things are never as bad as they seem.

Giulia Orsino

Wilfrid Laurier '21

3rd year History and English student who can usually be found eating pasta, napping, binge-watching Friends and snuggling with the cat.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her