Lee Anna Osei: A Star On and Off the Court

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Lee Anna Osei is a member of the Women’s Varsity basketball team and a soon-to-be Laurier graduate. Her ‘work hard, play hard’ mentality has earned her the recognition and respect from everyone around her, which is why we are proud to feature her as our Campus Celebrity this week!

Hometown: Toronto, AKA “The 6ix”

Major:

I am in Honours History at WLU. I chose it because, when I was young, my mentor told me if you have no idea where you’ve been, how will you know where you’re going? I’ve used this mindset to approach my academics, and I found that studying different types of history helps me understand how the world operates and the implications our pasts have on our future.

Year:

5th and final year! My 3rd year spent at WLU.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In five years, I see myself being a Head Coach for a girls’ basketball team at a reputable Division 1 school south of the border.

What’s your favourite study corner?

The Concourse computer lab, behind the printing hub.

How do you get ready for a big game?

I like to get a good meal, pray, and blast some J. Cole to get ready!

Image by Kha Vo: https://500px.com/khatdvo & https://www.facebook.com/khavography

Why basketball?

Growing up in the inner city in Toronto, basketball was the sport that many of our demographic (urban population) played. It was also feasible. I wasn’t encouraged to play because my mother was very traditional and she felt that women shouldn’t play sports, but as I got older and better, and it eventually paid for my school, she came to approve of it.

What do you love about basketball?

Playing basketball for me has always been an outlet and an escape from the stresses and problems of real life. I love the opportunity to play against someone and give an all our effort to win!

What do you love about your team?

I love our team chemistry. Whether it’s on the court or on the road, we can always find ways to relate to another and joke with each other like a family.

What’s an interesting thing most people don’t know about you?

Throughout the summer I coach, mentor, and tutor children and teens that live in low income neighborhoods in the GTA, like the one I grew up in. I think it’s important for the youth to have older people there to guide them and show them they can be successful. I’ve also coached and/or trained some NBA caliber players like Khem Birch, Andrew Wiggins, Nik Stauskas, amd Myck Kabongo.

Do you have an inspirational quote that keeps you going?

“Eat like a slave to live like a King.” I truly believe that, with hard work and dedication, anyone can achieve their dreams and aspirations despite having cards stacked against you. My goal is to grind as much as possible to reach my goals while I’m young, so that by the time I start a family I can support them, live well, and give back to the community.

What’s your drive?

Both the passing of my brother after he graduated from Laurier and the vision of my mother working night shifts every day to help support my siblings and I. 

What do you enjoy doing in your down time?

I love coaching, training, and skill development even more than playing. I enjoy helping children, teens, and even professionals attain their basketball goals, and I usually do this when I am off season. Throughout the school year though, my down time is usually spent watching NBA TV, Judge Judy, and listening to 90s music.

What was the last thing, whether out of hurt or joy, that moved you to tears?

The last thing that moved me to tears was when our seniors graduated last year from the team at Nationals. It was such an emotional ride last season, and we accomplished the majority of our roles. It was definitely a bitter sweet experience playing our last game together.

What’s the last thing that made you smile?

Last semester, I hurt my shoulder. Before playing my first game back, our Head basketball Coach Falco suggested that I shoot an underhanded granny shot at the free throw line if I got fouled during the game, like they did in the 60s back when he was playing, ha ha!

If you could go back, what would you change?

I would bring my big brother Samuel back to tell and show him how much I loved him.

As Lee Anna begins to wrap-up the final few months of her undergraduate degree and approaches her Masters, Her Campus wants to wish Lee Anna all the best in her future endeavors!

Chasya Dove

Wilfrid Laurier

English and Communications student at Wilfrid Laurier University with a passion for my city. Discovering Waterloo, ON has become my hobby from music festivals, arts shows, local restaurants and hidden coffee spots this place has got it all! With my passion for photography I strive to capture the moment, while learning that sometimes it's best to just let things be.
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.