This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Autumn is one of my favourite seasons. I adore watching the leaves transform into a variety of warm tones and flutter to the ground, only to be crushed by eager feet. It’s absolutely magical.

The only thing is, I detest waking up to the cold.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like the cold! I grew up playing ringette every Sunday morning with the biting air of the arena invigorating my senses. Not to mention I’m also the fool who wears flip flops when there’s snow on the ground. But the one thing I completely detest about Autumn is the change from warm mornings to frigid ones.

Photo by Craig Adderley

I do not want to wake up to chattering teeth and frozen toes, thank you very much. And don’t even get me started on how long it takes to get out of bed when my comforter is perfectly cozy.

Basically, what I’m trying to get at is that I know how hard waking up in this beautiful season is.

Luckily for you, since cold mornings are the bane of my existence, I happen to know a thing or two about keeping cozy during them. Some of my tricks are silly, but all of them are simple.

1. Get slippers

Photo by Lisa Fotios

I’ll admit, this one (while easy) took me a while to do. People have always said it was the solution to my problems, and my stubborn self vehemently refused to believe them. Honestly, I don’t know why I didn’t take their advice sooner.

2. Take your blankets with you

Swaddle yourself deeper into your blanket burrito and roll yourself out of bed. It’s time to re-live your childhood with the most charming of blanket capes. Only heroes as wonderful as you, a Laurier student, could wear such a magnificent cape. Jokes aside, wrapping up in your blanket while you get breakfast set up is one of the best ways to stay warm during the mornings.

3. Have a warm shower after you wake

As someone who typically takes evening showers, I will never admit to having said this even if this article is cited as proof. If you don’t feel like blow-drying your hair or going about your day with damp hair that will inevitably freeze, get yourself a shower cap so that your head stays dry.

4. Make yourself a hot chocolate

Photo by Lisa Fotios

Or coffee, or tea, or whatever warm beverage suits your fancy. On the rare occasion I have apple cider available, I find heating it up to be both nostalgic and the perfect way to start the day. Typically though, I fill a thermos mug with a combination of hot chocolate and peppermint tea, letting it warm my hands as I head to classes. Granted, my thermos probably isn’t doing the best job at keeping my beverage warm if it’s heating my hands, but I’m not complaining.

5. Mend the holes in your socks

Photo by Jisu Han

Okay, I’ll admit this one’s a little weird. Mending is a pretty outdated skill. In our fast-paced world, menial tasks like mending are often overlooked, which is why I encourage you to slow down and practice this skill. Not only will your socks actually keep your feet warm, but you’ll be able to fix any holes that pop up in your jackets and sweaters. If you’re looking for a place to start, I’d suggest checking out videos and how-to articles about darning; it’s a technique that’s beginner-friendly.

+ Bonus:

Eat something spicy. If you’re anything like me, someone who finds that salt and pepper are too much, you’ll definitely find yourself warmed up.

Kathryn Morton

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kathryn is a third year language student who spent her first year stumbling through Laurier's financial mathematics program before ultimately changing her major. Yes, she's aware those two have no overlap, we don't talk about that. This is her third year writing for Her Campus Laurier.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her