I’ve Never Celebrated St. Paddy’s Day … And I Don’t Plan To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

This may be a shock, but I’m in my third year at Laurier and I’ve never gone out for Saint Patrick’s Day. I haven’t gone to Ezra, I haven’t gotten drunk at 10 am just to be hungover by dinner time and I haven’t decked myself out in green and gold. More shocking, perhaps, is that I have absolutely no desire to.

I’m not an introvert, but I’m also not an extrovert. I’m that weird blend where I need social interaction to give my life purpose, but I also need time by myself if I don’t want to rip people’s heads off. That might contribute to why I don’t really have any desire to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Or maybe I’m just not interested in getting shit-faced in the biggest crowd of drunk university students ever.

Anyway, here’s a list of reasons why I don’t really want to participate in St. Paddy’s.

Too many people

The crowd is just insane. I look at pictures and I feel like I can’t breathe. I can’t imagine actually being there. I’m a small person, so I could easily get swallowed up in a crowd like that and there would be so much jostling and bumping into strangers and getting lost … I just can’t.

Too many drunks

There’s nothing wrong with people who like to drink and have a good time. I’m just one of those people who doesn’t like to be drunk around strangers and doesn’t like to be around drunk strangers, so the thought of being around so many drunk people makes me nervous.

The police

I am such a goodie-two-shoes, I physically cannot comprehend doing something that I know could risk me getting arrested. There are too many rules to remember if you want to avoid getting fined and I’m just not here for that. No thank you officer, I’ll stay at home.

The rowdiness

Remember how I said I don’t like being surrounded by drunk people? Part of that is because of how rowdy they can get. I’m a loud person, but I also like predictable human behavior and I can’t predict what a drunk person is going to do. I’ve heard horror stories about people getting hit with beer bottles, being knocked to the ground, being puked on and more. I’m just not about that. No thank you.

Acting like an idiot

Part of why I don’t like being drunk around strangers is because I get easily embarrassed, and I don’t like the thought of my embarrassing antics being viewed by potentially thousands of people. There are all those videos that go around after St. Paddy’s where people are clearly drunk and acting stupid, and I just do not want to be one of them.

So that’s it for me. As this article probably tells you, I’m a bit controlling, a bit introverted and a bit not into St. Patrick’s Day. I kind of wrote this article just so I could complain, but I also wrote it so that anyone who might be similar to me could see their thoughts written down and understand that you don’t have to go to Ezra Avenue or celebrate St. Patrick’s Day if it’s not something you’re comfortable with. We’re in the same boat.

Meghan Mazzaferro

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Meghan is an English and Film Studies major who has dreamed of being a writer all her life. When she's not writing essays and watching films for class, she loves to read YA novels and rewatch her favourite TV shows for the 100th time. Proud plant mama of 24 green beauties, and willing to adopt all the dogs.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her