It’s Time to Stop Waiting on People Who Don’t Value Your Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Are you always the one waiting for people? You’re meeting up with someone and they’re conveniently running fifteen minutes late…. all the time. It doesn’t seem fair to be waiting for the same people all of the time, when you’ve been gracious enough to get your sh*t together on time for them.

And on that note- are you holding on to the thought of someone being ready for you? Like they aren’t quite ready to commit to a relationship, but they’re “getting there.” Things take time I suppose, but it’s time to get real. There are limited good excuses to make someone wait, and I’d bet this person you’re waiting on is just prolonging potential commitment to something other than their Netflix subscription. Enough is enough- give them that ultimatum, and do it unapologetically.

I hate to point this one out, but you’re waiting on yourself, too. You’re wasting your own time. New year, new you starts today, not tomorrow. Getting up early starts the next time you set your alarm clock, not next week. You made resolutions, so stick to them or forget them and move on. No one is going to tell you what to do, so if you’re trying to convince yourself to do something you really don’t want to do, what’s the point? Don’t waste your own time.

It’s 2018. You’re wasting away your golden years waiting on people who are happy to make you wait. Sounds a little stupid, doesn’t it? Don’t wait for them. If they don’t show up, leave. If they make other plans, forget to make new ones. This isn’t about doing what’s best for everyone else- it’s about taking charge of your year and your life. Don’t let anyone, including yourself, believe that your precious time is anything to be wasted, because it’s not. Add this resolution to your list, and cheers to the new year!

Jenna Weishar

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year, 20-something year old Psychology and Sociology Major at Wifrid Laurier University. Sorority Girl. Lover of Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Sex and the City. Relies heavily on caffeine to get through the day, and wine at night. Follow me on Instagram: @jennaweishar and Twitter: @jennaweishar