It’s Getting Hot in Here: 10 Ways to Spice Up Your Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

So you’ve decided you and your partner want to spice things up; you’ve come to the right place. Whether spicing things up means to fill your relationship with romance, or to try some new kinky moves in bed to everything in between. I am going to give you the tips and tricks to help you turn up the heat in your relationship and wow your bae.

1. Set the Scene

Light some candles, dim the lights, spread some rose petals on the bed and grab a bottle of wine for the two of you. This sensual setting makes for a sexy night in that your partner wouldn’t be expecting and trust me, they will thank you.

2. Take it Slow

Foreplay. Foreplay. Foreplay. Often times people rush the foreplay to get right to the good stuff, but foreplay can be an amazing way to work yourself and your partner up to some amazing sex. Take your time with the foreplay until your partner can’t handle it and needs to have sex with you, it’ll turn the average night in into a passionate night of crazy sex.

3. Leave on your heels

Ladies, this one’s for you; keep those high heels on whether you’re coming home from a night out or just putting them on for some fun. Leaving those heels on while having sex will drive your partner crazy. It’s new, sexy, and your legs look fab.

4. Have sex anywhere except the bedroom

Whether it’s some shower sex, on the kitchen table, or even a quickie in the car, changing up the scenery can really spice up your sex life.

5. Write a love letter to each other

Although writing seems like a hard task for some, the art of writing love letters to your significant other will never go out of style. Just let the words flow from your heart to the page. Sometimes we forget how in love with each other we really are because it becomes so normalized to be dating. By reminding each other of all the things you love about each other and all the thoughts you have about your future, it will for sure spice up your romance life and spark some more passion.

6. Sext

Whether your partner is at work, out with friends, or waiting to come over, snap a pic of you in whatever sexy outfit (or lack of) or send a text telling them what dirty things are in store for the night and make them super excited to get home to see you.

7. Adult Toy Shopping

When isn’t toy shopping fun? Take some time and discuss your fantasies and sexual things you’ve always wanted to try. Next step is to go to your local love shop and pick out some toys to bring into the bedroom. These can be simple like a vibrator or handcuffs, or get a little more risky like anal beads or bondage. Don’t be nervous to try new things; you’re in this together and even if it’s a major fail it will still have spiced up the night and gave you a great memory to look back on.

8. Tell each other 3 things each that you love about each other

Spicing things up can also mean bringing out your sweet side. While laying in bed beside each other, look into each other’s eyes and list off 3 things you love about them and why; it is a nice little reminder that will make them extra happy and remind you of how great your relationship is.

9. Bring Edibles Into Bed

Sex and food…can it get any better?? Try mixing things up by adding some whip cream, icing, chocolate, or any other sexy food into your foreplay. Not only is this a great pre-sex snack but it can also be used in very sensual ways to really amp up what’s to come. Another great option (if food’s not your thing) is edible markers – they taste like candy and make giving a blowjob taste like a lollipop… who could resist?

10. Cook dinner with each other

Whoever said food was the way to someone’s heart was not lying. Cooking dinner together can be a very romantic event. Go to the store and pick out something yummy to cook, and maybe even some aphrodisiacs to really set the mood. Go home and throw some music on, dance in your kitchen and make dinner.You can literally add spices to your food, or make-out in your kitchen while you cook – either way your night will have just gotten a whole lot hotter.

AJ H

Wilfrid Laurier '19

stay smiling
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.