Style > Beauty

Is it Worth it? Insider Knowledge from a Former Sephora Employee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

There is nothing worse than dropping $100 or more on beauty products and they worsen your acne, make you look dry or cakey or just do nothing at all. I worked at Sephora for about six months and I thought I would share the wealth and let you guys in on some insider product knowledge I’ve picked up. Sephora divides its products up into “Worlds”: Makeup, Skincare, Fragrance and Hair products. I am going to share a few products from Skincare and Makeup that I love and are worth the money and some that are complete flops. Again, this is up to personal preference and trends I’ve noticed when working at Sephora. Enjoy!

Makeup

Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez – Soft Pinch Liquid Blush: $26 – YES

Amazing! I am no longer a powdered blush person after trying this. There are a variety of shades to fit all skin tones and each is incredibly pigmented. When they say a little goes a long way, they mean it! After putting on just one drop on each cheek I find that it is enough colour for my look, meaning that you will not have to rebuy the blush for a long time.  It’s completely worth your money.

Charlotte Tilbury – Hollywood Liquid Contour Wand: $52 – YES

While I was working at Sephora, Charlotte Tilbury was all the rage. I never understood why until I tried the contour wand. I don’t typically contour but when I do, this is what I use. It is a bit on the pricey side so I would only recommend this product if you do a lot of looks with contour. There is not a bunch of variety in terms of shades but the product blends incredibly into the skin and includes a sponge that allows you to be precise.

Buxom – Full-On Plumping Lip Polish Gloss: $30 – YES

This is similar to the Too Faced Lip Plumper gloss, but it is cheaper and does not burn or tingle when you put it on (besides a minor cooling sensation), which is something I hated about Too Faced. I did not know about this brand until I started working at Sephora, and I think this is the best lip-plumping gloss I’ve tried. It comes in a variety of shades and finishes: matte, metallic, shimmer and high shine and the product is a great size for long-lasting use.

Dior – Dior Waterproof Mascara: $38 – NOPE

Immediately no. Save your money on any of the Dior mascaras, please. This mascara is crusty, clumpy, smudgy and dries out your lashes. The mascara wand is poorly made, causing an uneven distribution of product over your eyes. I am the president of the “I Hate Dior Mascara” club; it is overrated just because it is made by Dior. I think there are way better options, such as the Milk Makeup Kush Mascara and Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara.

Clinique – Even Better Clinical Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 25: $55 – NOPE

Nope. This did not work for my skin and to be honest, I haven’t seen it really work for anyone else’s skin either. However, this is very subjective so if this works for you, keep using it! It’s drying and cakey; I am not a fan of the formula. I feel as though it does nothing to cover imperfections and blemishes. I think there are much better alternatives for this price.

Skincare

*This is very subjective; I have dry, acne-prone skin and this is what works for me!

Laneige – Water Bank Blue Hyaluronic Cream Moisturizer: $52 – YES

This was last year’s birthday gift from Sephora and it is the best moisturizer I have used by far. It is hydrating but not to the point where it makes your skin oily. It goes great with other products and does not impact the consistency of your makeup. I know others with different skin types than myself that enjoy this product just as much as I do. I think Laneige has perfected an (almost) universal moisturizer for normal, sensitive, dry and oily skin.

Drunk Elephant – A Gloei Retinol Oil: $95 – YES

This is expensive (everything from Drunk Elephant is), but this one is WORTH IT! Retinol helps with acne and anti-aging by rejuvenating skin cells. I have used the Inkey List, the Ordinary and Summer Fridays and nothing has worked like this. I have noticed a difference in the softness of my skin and my acne breakouts have stopped. Retinol is typically used only at night, but if you pair this with sunscreen (which I hope everyone is wearing), it works for day and night use. The full-sized bottle has lasted me around eight months now with daily use.

First Aid Beauty – Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration: $50 – NOPE

You are done. I do not like this product. It was recommended to me to help with my acne, but it only made it worse. I was expecting the product to be similar to Laneige, but instead, it felt like putting half-dried glue on my face. It was thick and messed up the consistency of my makeup when I would apply it for the day. It almost seemed like it was drying my skin out instead of “ultra-repairing” it. I do not recommend this product, especially for dry, acne-prone skin.

The Ordinary – Serums: $7-$12 – NOPE

Absolutely not. Do not use these products if you want your skin barrier to staying intact. I think the aesthetic and affordability of the product are appealing to people, including myself at one point. However, the unnecessary mixing and poor quality of serums on your face destroy your skin barrier long-term. If you found one serum that works for you from The Ordinary, fine, but I do not recommend combining them. Instead, look for a high-quality product.

Sol de Janerio – Brazilian Bum Bum Cream: $63 – YES

This product falls under skin and body care. I recommend this product to EVERYONE. It smells great, lasts long and makes your skin feel incredibly soft. Incorporating this into your shower routine is a must.

I hope this helps you save some money and up your makeup and skincare routine; again, this is very subjective based on personal preference and skin type! I have a lot more product knowledge I’d love to share with you; stay tuned for next week for more skincare, makeup and hair product recommendations.

Paige Coats

Wilfrid Laurier '24

I'm Paige, a third year communications student at Wilfrid Laurier University. I love reading, writing, music, fashion and pop culture. I plan on pursuing a career in the Creative Industries, specifically the music industry.