This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As someone who knows nothing about Billie Eilish and her music, I was surprised when I felt intrigued after seeing an advertisement for her new film Billie Eilish: The World’s a Little Blurry. As Billie is a year younger than me, I admit that a lot of my curiosity came from wanting to learn how she had managed to rise to fame so quickly and become a major cultural icon. Settling in, I pressed play and fully committed to watching the documentary the entire way through.

The film is on the long side, clocking in at two hours and 20 minutes. However, the film doesn’t feel too bloated (surprisingly). Seeing into the professional and personal lives of both Billie and her equally talented brother, Finneas was incredibly interesting. I honestly don’t know how they managed to record so much in such a tiny bedroom. Truly, this is a testament to how talented they are and to how some part of the music writing/creating process is innate.

Furthermore, I think the film felt “real” in the way that a lot of documentaries do not. At no point did I feel like Billie or anyone in her family was acting or just putting on a show for the cameras. Of particular note are Billie’s parents, who I could tell really do care about their children and who helped to nurture their talent without becoming overbearing or helicopter parents that were hellbent on their children being successful in the industry. I think this has contributed to just how successful Billie and Finneas have become and highlights how they have been able to stay level-headed in an industry that constantly inflates the egos of those within it.

Personally, the film didn’t make me any more of a fan of Billie’s music. While I can see why people like and relate to it, it simply is not my genre. She has a good voice and I appreciate the standard she is setting for people within the industry. I believe that the ‘mainstream’ music industry was getting a bit stale and having someone like Billie Eilish breaking boundaries has paved the way for other artists with a more eclectic style.

Overall, I really enjoyed this film and encourage everyone (fan or not) to watch it. Being so young, Billie’s story and rise to fame is inspiring for all and shows the power that can come when you fully commit to your dreams. While some of us might not have dreams that are this lofty, the documentary serves as a reminder to hone your craft (whatever it is) and be proud of all that you create. Everyone has a unique voice, and Billie’s is one of the many that will serve as an inspiration for artists to come.

Bronte Behling

Wilfrid Laurier '23

A second year Cultural Studies and Film Studies double major student at Wilfrid Laurier University, Bronte has had a passion for creative writing since middle school where she took an online summer course about J.R.R Tolkien's the Silmarillion. A cat lover, Star Wars fan and podcast enthusiast she aims to gain more writing experience through this publication in order to pursue her post-degree goal of becoming a journalist.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!