I Was Feeling Epic: The Vampire Diaries Characters & What They Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It has been almost three years since the series finale of The Vampire Diaries and if you haven’t seen it yet, what are you doing?! Sacrifices were made, chapters were closed, stories were completed and Elena got her happily-ever-after, but most importantly, some lessons were learned. As characters were introduced, befriended others and died, they taught fans useful, if not valuable, life lessons.

Here is a list of what each essential character taught us!

Damon Salvatore

“Hello, Brother.”

If there’s anything everyone can agree on, it’s that Damon has come a long way. A soldier, lover, son, enemy and brother, Damon showed us faithfulness and loyalty in every role he played. For over a century, Damon was (tragically) devoted to Katherine despite her mistreatment of the Salvatores. Damon’s desire to protect his brother always overcame his resentment, which further demonstrated his loyalty. It also showed his dedication to his loved ones despite the number of times he had to hear that he was not desired, welcome or considered the better man from various important figures in his life. Damon’s ability to put his feelings aside and still help those he cared about is insurmountably admirable. This Salvatore reminded viewers of the significance of loyalty.

Katerina Petrova a.k.a Katherine Pierce

The myth. The legend. The baddest bitch of all. Katherine. What did she do best over five and a half centuries? She survived. Katherine wouldn’t have lived for over five hundred years if she was anything like Elena. Katherine was determined, adapted to situations and always put herself first – this is something many people struggle with. Katherine’s resiliency and survival skills, and not to mention confidence, are crucial traits that should stick out to any TVD fan. She may not be the nicest woman around but it wouldn’t hurt to learn a few things from her.   

Niklaus Mikaelson

This big bad wolf was introduced as a villain in TVD, but later was the protagonist in his own show, The Originals. On his quest to become invincible, Klaus stumbled upon beautiful relationships through which he learned vulnerability. As his icy exterior melted, he opened up to those around him. Over time, this led Klaus to lean on the shoulders of his friends and family through tough times. He fought long and hard to conquer his fears, better his health and become a better man. Klaus reminds the audience that nobody is beyond redemption and people who love you will support you through thick and thin.

Matt Donovan

Poor human, Matt. This blue-eyed beauty started his rough life with a junkie for a sister and an irresponsible mother. Throughout the series, Matt lived an honest life. Even though it wasn’t explicit, he spoke truthfully and expected the truth in return. People in Matt’s life didn’t always tell him the truth, or the whole truth, and this often led to feelings being hurt. Matt never let this stop him from being the virtuous man he was. His values and principles helped him throughout life and led him to become sheriff.

Elena Gilbert

My least favourite character of the entire series, and the protagonist of the show, is Elena Gilbert. Contrary to Katherine’s bold and confident character, Elena seems to need the most coddling. Nevertheless, the girl that swept the Salvatore brothers off their feet demonstrated dignity and courage. She stuck by her beliefs and though she fell in love with a vampire, she did not want it for herself. When faced with life-changing decisions and events, no matter the amount of fear she felt, Elena put her best foot forward. In the face of adversity, and frankly frightening beasts, Elena clung to her principles and held her ground with a brave face. From her, we learn to face our demons – literally.

Stefan Salvatore

Brooding, sexy and a gentleman, Stefan Salvatore radiated selflessness. He chose to feed on animal blood over human blood instead of giving in to his desires, especially given his past. In spite of his brother’s misdeeds, he put Damon’s safety before his feelings of anger and bitterness many times. His great sacrifice at the end of the show also exemplified the true extent of his selflessness. Throughout the show, Stefan took his time to care for people around him, including Vicki, Caroline, Jeremy and many others. His altruism and kindness prove to be invaluable lessons for fans.

All in all, The Vampire Diaries will continue to be an epic show filled with captivating characters and stories. The truths and wisdom that can be learned from this show and its characters are truly abundant. What you see and how you interpret it can lead you to learn things you would have never thought about. Either way, whatever you learn, it will leave you feeling epic.

Priya Butter

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Priya is a student at Wilfrid Laurier University pursuing an Honours BA in Global Studies. Along with being a writer, Priya is a passionate dancer and advocate. Check out other work by Priya by visiting thedeconstructedsociety.ca !
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.