Wellness

I Tried HelloFresh So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by HelloFresh. I’m just a customer and student who wants to help fellow students who may be looking to get some insight on what the heck is going on with all these meal kit advertisements.

Have you ever seen those ads on Instagram or YouTube about meal kit subscriptions but were never quite sure what to make of the product? Look no further and read my review of one of the many of these kinds of services.

As a student, I find that I barely have enough time during the day. So when it comes time for cooking, I get overwhelmed because I can’t decide what to eat. Recipes are also hard to put together. I never know what ingredients to include and before I know it, I’m repulsed by the idea of cleaning up all the dishes after the fact.

So, after lingering between a few brands of meal kits, I chose HelloFresh.

Right off the bat, I think it’s on the pricier side given my student budget. Each box is at about 77 dollars WITH discount codes, and a regular box is about 100 dollars. However, this option beats going to Walmart every week, since I have some knee problems to deal with.

The subscription I have provides four meals to feed two people, typically for dinner. But I found that the meals are filling and leftovers are a common theme. The box comes with recipe cards that probably will last you a lifetime if you decide to keep them. Plus, they make a great reference if you decide to make a dish again with your own ingredients.

The food that you get in the boxes is usually only good for less than a week before they start to rot or go bad. They say the food is fresh but I don’t know how to guarantee this. Although, meals from this are healthier and cheaper than getting McDonald’s delivered every day.

I wish these sorts of subscriptions were more affordable for students. If you are interested in something like this and find that it would suit your lifestyle, I suggest doing a bit more research into different kinds of subscriptions that would be best for you. I dove headfirst into one of these plans because I was feeling impulsive and tired of planning out my meals.

Cooking meals at home makes me feel better about myself, especially during times where I feel especially down. If this is something that applies to you, perhaps HelloFresh or something similar could be helpful to you. I would also recommend these for those who are looking for a way to build on their cooking skills but have no idea where to start. These recipes will help give you a background on how to cook certain things.

Hopefully, you have gained more insight into the world of pre-planned meal subscriptions.

Priya Butter

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Priya is a student at Wilfrid Laurier University pursuing an Honours BA in Global Studies. Along with being a writer, Priya is a passionate dancer and advocate. Check out other work by Priya by visiting thedeconstructedsociety.ca !