This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Midterm season is sadly upon us! It is usually a time for stress and tears; however, I am here to help. As a self-declared overachieving student myself, I have survived many semesters of school and I have picked up some tips and tricks for surviving midterms. 

Stay Organized 

Honestly, this is the key to university life itself, but it is especially crucial to midterm season. During this time, you don’t only have midterms but also other assignments, papers and possible presentations. It’s essential to know when all this work is due so you can plan the most effective way of studying to avoid cramming and stressing yourself out.  

I personally use Notion to track my assignments and tests. It may seem daunting at first, but Notion has changed my life and I am always giving my friends tutorials on how to use it. If Notion is not for you, another option may be Excel, Google Calendar or you might just want to stick to a normal journal. Whatever works for you is the best option. Being organized will reduce half of your stress during this hectic time.  

Find a Study System that Works for You 

Once you are organized, the next step is to find a study system that works for you. This can be a learning experience because not every method works for everyone.  

Creating flashcards or study sheets is one method of studying. These aids you in finding out what you know and what you don’t. It is great for visual learners who need to see what they need to know for the test.  

However, this can be time-consuming so if you don’t have a lot of time, doing practice problems or doing past assessments is a fantastic alternative. Doing exercises similar to the midterm will allow you to know if you really understand the information or if you are just memorizing it. Knowing the information is one thing but knowing how to apply it is another.  

Using the Pomodoro method is a good time management technique to assist your studying. This technique is when you spend 25 minutes on a task and then take a break for five minutes. You can change the time for your own needs, such as having 50 minutes on one topic and having a ten-minute break. The Pomodoro method is a good way to avoid burnout during studying. Pomofocus is a great website to do this and allows you to choose your study time and how long your break will be.  

It is also good to mix and match different study strategies. Eventually, you will find what works best for you and midterm season will become easier as you learn more. There are many other strategies that you can use to find what suits you the best.  

Take Breaks  

Everyone is very stressed during this period, but it is vital to take a break, or you will be burnt out. Maybe you set aside 30 minutes a day to read a book, write or watch your favourite TV show. Taking breaks will help you study more effectively and allow you to retain more during your study sessions.  

Midterm season can put a lot of pressure on you, but this is a reminder that grades are not everything. Not everything will go the way that you want it to, but it is important that you keep putting in your best effort and not letting one failure deter you. Even if you started off the semester badly you can always turn it around.   

Kayla Walker

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kayla is a third-year economics student at Wilfrid Laurier University. When she is not writing, Kayla is reading romance books, watching marvel or hanging out with friends. She was born and raised in Barbados and loves to talk about her home and family.