This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

With exams fast approaching, everyone is getting nervous. For new students, it’ll be especially nerve-wracking because it’ll also be overwhelming. Here are a few ideas to help you deal with and/or manage stress during the exam season.

Yoga

Yoga is a great way to unwind, especially when you’ve been sitting in a chair all day. It doesn’t just help you relax your muscles; it also refocuses your mind on what you have to do next. During this time, you can also make a strategy or a plan on what you’re going to work on next for your exams without being overwhelmed, as you’re now in a relaxing environment. There are different kinds of yoga that can help you relax or focus. For example, you can do hot yoga to destress and clear your head before an exam or just regular yoga to stretch your muscles and give yourself a break.

Study Groups

Study groups are a good way to see where other people are at in your class. This can also make you feel better, as working with a team is known to build confidence and friendship. Working with a group of students can also help you stay focused and it’s a good way to study in a non-stressful environment, as working together and problem-solving will make you feel better about the classes you’re taking.

Organization

Organization is one of the key pieces in studying, as organizing your time and work is helpful when planning for upcoming exams. For example, study for classes whose exams are sooner than the rest. That way, you’re giving yourself the most amount of time to achieve your goals.

Another way to stay organized is to make sure all your papers and documents are in order. It’s not all about making pretty notes but making sure that you are able to find key information when needed.

Journaling

Journaling isn’t just writing in a book, the same way yoga isn’t just stretching. It’s about meditation and refocusing after you wake up. Journaling is very helpful for organizing your day in the morning, as making a list and checking it off is shown to make people want to achieve the little goals throughout the day. It’s also a good habit to get into writing first thing in the morning instead of looking at your phone. Hopefully, this will trick your mind into wanting to complete the tasks more than wanting to go on TikTok.

Animals

What helped me most during stressful times and exams was visiting animals. Whether they’re my animals or the Humane Society’s animals, it’s one of my favourite ways to distress because it’s the most fun. Visiting a room full of kittens takes your mind off all the exams and papers that are due and lets you focus on and enjoy the moment. And although you know you have to get back to work, this is a great way to allow your mind to reposition itself.

Taylor Harding

Wilfrid Laurier '27

Hello readers, I'm so excited for you to read my work a little bit about me is that I'm currently attending Laurier University as an undeclared (because who really knows what they wanna do), I have two dogs and one cat who I love more than anything, and most importantly, I like to write, its a fun way to talk about aesthetic topics, as well to support other woman in this field :)