Career > Money

How to Look Put Together on a University Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Becoming victim to the stained hoodie, pyjama pants, and messy bun combo is an experience every girl in university or college has dealt with during midterm season. The thought of simply brushing your hair or finding a cute outfit is more daunting than your assignments, with little time and little money to do so. However, with my three years of experience in this balancing act called school, I’ve discovered a few tips and tricks to feeling and looking more put together, so you feel like your life isn’t completely in shambles. It’s not as difficult as it may seem, and with a few good staples and time-saving life hacks, you can be looking and feeling your best for those long campus study sessions.

Invest in the Basics

You’ve probably heard it before but investing in basic clothing items you can put together in a mix-and-match sense is key to saving time on outfit ideas in the morning. Not everyone wants to wear jeans and a fancy top every day, and that’s okay and also not necessary to look put together. Investing in quality sweatshirts, sweatpants and basic t-shirts that won’t pill after a few wears and still feel soft and comfortable will leave you looking at your best. Sandwiching colours so that your shoes match your top, which compliment your pants, is the simplest way to create an outfit from some pieces of clothes. Finding colours you feel confident in and that compliment your skin tone will also help in the shopping process, so you’ll gravitate more toward those items rather than having them sit in the back of your closet. I’ve honestly gotten the most compliments wearing a colorful pair of shoes that match my baby tee, with a pair of good quality sweatpants that look cute and feel comfortable enough to get me through long days.

At-Home Appointments

We don’t all have the time and money to have esthetic appointments every week with how busy and chaotic school can get, so doing these things yourself at home will save you time and money while still maintaining yourself. A few things you can do yourself include waxing and dying your eyebrows at home. This is something I do every few weeks with a facial razor, tweezers, Nair and some beard dye. It takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it, you’ll be saving so much money. Another thing I love to do is use press-on nails, something I found a lot of girls in my classes using that looks so classy and put together with very little effort. Brands like Kiss or Glamnetics carry affordable and long-lasting nails that can be applied in literally minutes. Paired with some cute rings, you’ll be serving the clean-girl aesthetic look in no time. Having weekly self-care days can assist in this, simply through the use of a face mask, a full-body shave, a hair mask or a quick toe polish. Just doing these things when you have an hour or so free one night can amplify the feeling of being put together.

Accessorize Accordingly

There is nothing I love more than seeing a girl with a cute necklace, handbag and rings who looks so sophisticated and put together. You could be wearing the most comfortable loungewear, but paired with the right accessories, you’ll be looking like you know what you’re doing with your life. My favourite go-to is a pair of thick gold hoop earrings, a simple dainty necklace possibly layered with another and classy, simple rings. In the winter, you can also add a hat or a scarf to elevate yourself more. These things don’t have to be expensive and there are so many stores that sell affordable gold-plated or silver jewelry. It’s a simple thing to do, but it will make you feel ten times more put together.

Looking put together does not have to be as difficult as it seems. With the help of Pinterest, basic wardrobe essentials and proper self-care, you’ll be the girl to watch out for when walking to your classes. Have fun with yourself; remember that you’re your own Barbie doll, and you’re free to dress up and explore different styles. This doesn’t have to be time-consuming or expensive; you can always find deals, invest in quality pieces that don’t wear or tear and find statement pieces at thrift stores to add some dynamic to your wardrobe. Looking good equates to feeling good, so take these tips and apply them in order to look good while conquering your university day.

Kaileigh Klein

Wilfrid Laurier '25

My name is Kaileigh & I am a communication studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario. I am the Vice President of Writing for our Her Campus chapter & love everything there is about writing. My career goals range from journalism to marketing, with interests in all creative fields as I love reading, writing and content creating. I love reality TV & am a huge gym rat, as the gym is my favourite place to be. I am also quite obsessed with Taylor Swift & true crime podcasts.