This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

With classes resuming in-person, Laurier students will once again have to become mindful of what they are wearing as they (sadly) tramp to campus for 8:30 AM lectures.

In the dead of winter, it is easy to think that you have dressed warm enough when you are inside. However, after you have stepped out the door, you often find that the reality is far worse; you are freezing. 

Having lived in Canada for all 21 years of my life, I believe I am qualified to educate those looking on how to successfully protect themselves against the frigid winter air (while still looking cute). Further, as someone who always has cold hands, I have had to get creative. It is a delicate balance, but it can be achieved!

Step 1: The First Layer

Possibly the most important, a good layering system sets itself up well. On the bottom, put on a pair of (preferably fleece-lined) tights – especially if you are going to be wearing a dress or skirt.  On top, put on a tank top.

Step 2: The Second Layer

If you are wearing a pair of pants, put them on over your fleece-lined/regular tights. From there, put a pair of warm socks on. If you are wearing a dress, put on a pair of nude tights over the tights you put on previously. This sounds strange, but the extra layer will help keep your legs (and feet) warm. Further, it will cover the colour of the tights you put on previously, hiding the fact that you have tights on.

Then, put a long-sleeved top over your tank top. This will help reinforce the cold protection started by the tank top. It will help keep your arms and core warm.

Step 3: The Third Layer

From there, I will put on a high-necked sweater over top of my long-sleeved shirt (if I plan on adding a fourth layer). If not, I will just put on a regular sweater.

Step 4: The FOURTH Layer

Again, I will only complete this step if I am planning on wearing a cardigan over the high-necked sweater from the previous step.

From there, make sure you put on a warm coat (preferably something with wool), a scarf, hat and mittens! A genius invention that you can pick up to help keep your hands warm is mitten warmers – these work through a chemical reaction to keep your hands warm in your mitts, and can be put in boiling water after so you can use them again!

Stay warm, Golden Hawks – it is cold out there! Before you know it, we will be able to study on campus outside once more. However, until then, keep yourself warm this Valentine’s Day season.

Bronte Behling

Wilfrid Laurier '23

A second year Cultural Studies and Film Studies double major student at Wilfrid Laurier University, Bronte has had a passion for creative writing since middle school where she took an online summer course about J.R.R Tolkien's the Silmarillion. A cat lover, Star Wars fan and podcast enthusiast she aims to gain more writing experience through this publication in order to pursue her post-degree goal of becoming a journalist.