This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It can be hard to let go of summer. I mean, it’s the perfect time to de-stress. However, as the air becomes crisper and the leaves start changing colours, I just want to get right into the festivities of fall. It can be a bit of a struggle to enjoy the fall season due to midterm exams and school projects, but I’m here to help! I’ve listed a few essentials that help me get in the fall spirit. Next to Christmas- this is my favourite time of the year! I try to appreciate the autumn season because it only lasts a month, and then it starts to get colder before our first snowfall. The next thing you know, you’re celebrating the new year!

Here are some activities to help you soak in the season:

Decorate your living space with autumn-themed decor

This is my number one ritual! As soon as October 1st rolls around the corner, the pumpkins are displayed on my front porch and the fall scented candles are lit. It’s also a great excuse to splurge at HomeSense and Bath & Body Works. Turn your space into a seasonal escape with something as simple as making a fall wreath for your door, buying a festive pillow or getting the Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin or Toasted Vanilla Chai soaps at Bath & Body Works.

learn a new recipe

This is a great time to learn new fall recipes! You can make hot cider or some yummy fall desserts. I suggest scrolling through Pinterest to find a recipe that feels right for you! The Food Network has some unique and festive recipes for you to learn as well. The Pioneer Woman is my mom’s favourite show, as Ree Drummond can be a very festive lady. Maybe take a trip to Indigo or Chapters to buy a new cookbook. I don’t usually bake, but I’d love to learn how to make apple pie…

watch cheesy hallmark movies

As cheesy and annoying as they are, I love to binge-watch Hallmark movies. They usually consist of terrible acting and predictable plot lines, but it’s great to listen to in the background while I’m working or cooking with my family.

plan a trip to a pumpkin patch

It’s Han Solo season ladies!!! Time to pull out your long sleeves and black vests. Whether you’re wanting to go with your significant other or gal pals, this is a great fall activity for you. I haven’t done this in a long time, but I’d love to carve a pumpkin and even roast the pumpkin seeds. Especially seasoning the seeds before placing them in the oven. *Chefs kiss*

watch a fall-themed tv show/movie

There are a few shows that remind me of autumn. One show I absolutely love is Gilmore Girls. I find that watching the series from start to finish, throughout the months of September and November, help me get in the fall spirit. It’s the aesthetic of Stars Hallow, the intro credits that appear over a fire-orange Connecticut foliage, coffee at Luke’s diner, etc. that make me want to just get cozy with a book and a pumpkin spice latte by my side. If you really love Gilmore Girls, and you didn’t know, the show’s pilot was shot on Main Street in Unionville, Ontario. It could be worth the trip to take a walk around the town and pretend you’re a Gilmore Girl.

check out local events in your neighbourhood

On that note above, I suggest checking out what activities are hosted in your neighborhood. Maybe there’s a pumpkin carving contest or an outdoor cookout for you to finally wear your plaid top to. You can also search for groups on Facebook that share activities being held locally, plan a trip to go apple picking at your local farm or even check out the small businesses around you.

practice a little tlc

Especially with how hectic this time gets for students, make sure you’re taking the time to indulge in some TLC. Take a trip to your favourite body care shop and treat yourself to a warm fall scented soap or new bath products. I love taking a bath in some new bath bombs from Lush and then lathering up with my favourite vanilla lotion from The Body Shop.

road trip

If you’re wanting to get out of your hometown, this is a great activity for you! Plan a trip to travel across Canada with your friends, family or significant other. Pack a camera and your hiking essentials to visit Alberta’s Rocky Mountains, Algonquin Park in Ontario or Cape Breton, Nova Scotia!

scary movie plan for halloween

As you near the second half of October, you can start to plan for Halloween. Maybe start to think about your Halloween costume, and how you’re going to DIY your outfit. Depending on how you plan to celebrate Halloween during quarantine, you can have a scary movie night with some friends or a costume/baking contest and make spooky cocktails!

get a head start on holiday shopping

The last activity I decided to include was holiday shopping! Call me crazy, but the Christmas tree is going up the first week of November. It’s a good idea to get ahead of the kooky holiday shoppers and to take advantage of amazing deals you come across. With exams coming up and the overwhelming crowds on Black Friday, I try to avoid shopping too close to Christmas, and instead tackle my list right away. And I mean, why not treat yourself to a new fall sweater while you’re shopping!

Hopefully I gave you a new activity that sparks your interest or at least reminded you of something nostalgic you forgot you liked to do. Whatever activity you decide on, try to enjoy every moment and remember to take care of yourself. You deserve to be happy and enjoy yourself. Happy fall everyone!

Sabrina DeCosta

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Sabrina is a fourth-year student at Wilfrid Laurier University. When she is not writing, Sabrina is cuddling with her Labradoodle, sketching or obsessing over Gilmore Girls! Sabrina also loves travelling and spending time with her friends and family.