How to Tell it’s Spring by Looking at Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Usually, it’s easy to tell when spring is in the air, and with being on a campus almost every day, there are extra things that make us notice it’s no longer winter.No matter where you are, what people wear is a big sign of what season it is. Yet no matter where I am on campus, I always manage to see someone in a jean jacket. Some people don’t even see it as necessary to bring a jacket and brace the weather in sweaters. It’s warm enough, so why not? I’m sure we’re all glad to retire our winter jackets, especially when we must carry it around campus all day and have it take up so much space in our small lecture hall chairs.And if you don’t have a jean jacket, you have definitely dusted off your favourite pair of ripped jeans — another trend I’ve noticed around campus lately. Soon, it’s going to be time to break out those sunglasses! The sun is already breaking from the winter clouds and shining down brightly on campus.With the weather being as nice as it is, it motivates people to come to campus more. One of the best ways to tell it’s spring is by seeing how lively campus becomes. Walking to class, you just see more people out and about — not just taking cover in buildings for warmth, but actually outside enjoying the weather and hanging out with friends. With more people on campus, this also means seeing more dogs around campus, and no one is opposed to that!

If you think dogs are the only animals to make their presence on campus, think again. We’re lucky enough to have a high presence of geese. Yes, the lovely Canadian geese. Our friendly neighbours are back in town and they are reclaiming their territory. Nothing shouts spring at Laurier like walking to class and having the geese shout and stare at you. If they’re on the roofs of buildings, that’s pretty intimidating; but, if they’re low on the ground, then that’s just terrifying! I’d highly recommend keeping your distance in any case!With spring in the air, the weather will only become nicer and nicer. Spring does arrive the same time as papers and exams, but It’s important to take advantage of it while you can. Find study spots with natural lighting, or even study outside. Take breaks by doing some spring related activities. After all, spring only comes once a year!

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons  
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.