Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Survive in a Long-Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Long-distance relationships can be difficult, but there are some important things to know that can help make the distance more bearable.

We all know that long-distance relationships suck. Nobody has ever been happy to admit that their significant other lives hours away from them. But when you love someone, sometimes you have to work hard to keep your relationship going. Here are some simple ways to make a long-distance relationship work.

Trust one another

The most important thing in a relationship is trust. This is a given for any relationship, whether it is long-distance or not. If you are able to trust your partner’s judgments and decisions you will easily be able to succeed. I know it’s easy to feel insecure when you hear about your partner hanging out with someone you haven’t met yet, but you must remember that they are dating you because they love you. When we’re separated from one another we sometimes forget how to see each other as we truly are. We make judgments or assumptions in our own head that are exaggerated and completely irrational. Remind yourself that it’s better to talk to your partner about the way you are feeling rather than let it manifest in your own head.

Plan for the future together

One thing that really makes long-distance relationships difficult is the constant uncertainty. You don’t always know what your partner is up to or how they’re feeling about your relationship. The longer your time apart, the more these uncertainties can grow inside your head. That’s why it’s important to plan events for the future together. Whether it’s a vacation, looking for apartments together or even just a date. This will allow both of you to maintain enthusiasm and optimism in your relationship. It is crucial for the individuals in a long-distance relationship to have a goal that they are trying to reach together. This helps you grow together in your relationship and can prevent you from drifting apart.

Do things together

Just because you and your partner aren’t physically in the same place does not mean you can’t still have fun together. Some simple things you can do to spend some quality time together is play online games with each other or start a Netflix show that you can both watch while you Facetime. These small things can help spark new and interesting conversations with your partner and help you find an interest that you can share together.

Avoid excessive communication

Many long-distance couples believe that in order for your relationship to survive you have to talk all the time. I, however, do not believe that this is true. While this may work for some couples, I think that communication should happen naturally. You should be talking to each other when you want to, not because you have to. When you force communication with your partner, you’ll eventually start to run out of things to talk about or half-ass your conversations because you feel obligated to talk to them. This kind of communication can cause both people to start feeling resentful and may lead to many stupid fights. Thus, it is important to make communication optional and remember that sometimes people get busy. Understand that it’s okay if your partner can’t make your daily Facetime call for one night.

Memorabilia

One thing I believe to be really helpful in a long-term relationship is memorabilia. Not seeing your partner for weeks or months can be really difficult on hard days. When you just want their company, it can be nice to have something of theirs that reminds you of them and makes you feel comforted. A good thing to hold onto is your partner’s sweater or t-shirt. Having something that you can wrap yourself in that smells like them can really put you in a better mood.

Long-distance relationships can be difficult, but they are not impossible. I’ve heard many success stories of couples who have gotten through over five years of being apart. In order for long-distance relationships to work, both partners must be ready to put in the work. If both of you are willing to make your relationship work in the right way, then your bond with one another will never be stronger. In the end, it all depends on whether or not you’re willing to put in the effort to make it work.

Chandni Bhatt

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chandni is a fourth-year Global Studies and Political Science student. She loves writing, reading and binge-watching Netflix tv-shows.