This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Vacation time is the best time; whether it’s soaking up the sun or being bundled up in the cold, some time away from reality is always much needed. While this is all true, vacations can also be a stressful time, ESPECIALLY if you have a big family. From fighting over the aisle seat, arguing for luggage space, or complaining that no one can take the perfect picture, there are bound to be some bumps along the way that can put a damper on your vacation. To help you make the most of your vacation (without throwing your family off the plane), here are 6 helpful tips on surviving a big family vacation.

TIP ONE: PACK ENTERTAINMENT 

Whether it’s picking up a couple of new books, or downloading movies or music onto your iPad – some sort of entertainment is sure to help you get away from everyone. Don’t forget to bring headphones or some shades so you can use your entertainment at any point in the trip! 

TIP TWO: BOOK EXCURSIONS 

While everyone loves sitting on a beach and getting a tan or cuddling up by a fire all together, doing nothing all day is hard and can get boring. Plan some excursions for you and your family to do all together! Whether it’s zip lining or skiing, you’re all sure to have fun and take your mind off things! 

TIP THREE: SAY YES 

Don’t be afraid of new adventures! If your cousins want to go cliff diving – GO. If your parents want to try a new restaurant – DO IT. Make sure to make memories by trying new things you wouldn’t normally do. This helps eliminate arguments over the question “what should we do today?”

TIP FOUR: TAKE SOME TIME FOR YOURSELF 

Whether it’s a quick nap or a walk on the beach, sometimes alone time is the best time. Don’t forget about yourself on this vacation, make sure you have some time to be alone with yourself and your thoughts.

TIP FIVE: KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE

Whether your sister was hogging the covers all night, or your aunt won’t stop asking you if you’ve put on enough sunscreen, there are many things that could tick you off during your vacation. Try and find a silver lining in every situation and make the most of all the memories you are creating. DON’T BE NEGATIVE!

TIP SIX: BE THANKFUL

Don’t forget to take a moment to remember how fortunate you are to have such a big, loving family who cares about you! 

Hi, my name is Lauren Kohn and I am a second year Communication Studies student at Laurier. I love writing and giving advice to my peers as well as making new relationships!
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.