This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

We’ve all had one of those mornings where we wake up to our alarm clock blaring and sleepily let the shock set in that class begins in 10 minutes. We rush to get ready at lightning speed and regretfully toss on a classic tee and jeans simply because there is no time to waste putting effort into an outfit. If only there was one piece that could instantly uplift an outfit from a typical everyday look to street style chic in little to no time. And with that in mind, cue the duster coat.

The duster coat is the perfect solution to amp up your basic tee and blue jeans because it’s a standalone statement piece. We’ve seen this trend all over look books and are constantly amazed at how quickly it can add that glamour celeb-factor to any basic outfit. The duster coat is definitely intimidating at first, especially for shorter girls wondering if the length will drown them, but we’ve found the key to styling duster coats is to highlight specific features and play with proportions. For all you collegiettes looking for the answer to crafting highly stylish last minute outfits, read along for Her Campus’ guide for styling the duster coat.

Shorts: Styling the duster coat with shorts is such an unexpected and chic way to pull together an outfit. The shorts highlight your legs so you can avoid drowning in the length of the coat!

Heels: Adding even the smallest heel to an outfit creates such a glamorous vibe and works flawlessly with the duster coat by providing height! 

Dress: Layering a duster coat with a simple dress is such an effortless yet trendy look! Pair with sneakers for casual vibes or strappy heels for a night out.

Cropped Top: Adding a crop top is a foolproof way to highlight your waist and play with proportions for flawless style.

High-Waist Denim: Simple high-waist denim is perfect for everyday to class or running errands. The high-waist brings attention to the smallest part of your waist and ensures the length of the coat isn’t too overwhelming. 

Sleeveless: An alternative to the typical duster coat is a vest option! This is great for days when the weather is still transitioning and breaks up the colour of an outfit flawlessly.

Statement Shoes: Adding a coloured or printed shoe is perfect for adding something chic and unexpected to the duster coat! 

Collegiettes, make the leap and purchase a duster coat this Fall! They can be endlessly styled for every occasion and are such a versatile piece to add to your wardrobe.  The answer to last minute chic has finally arrived! xo

Olivia Di Pede

Wilfrid Laurier

Olivia is a fourth year English major with the Management Option at Wilfrid Laurier University and a Style Blogger for Her Campus. In her free time she can be found taking yoga classes, scavenging Sephora and creating content for her personal lifestyle blog. She is a perpetual reader, frequent dancer and lover of the sea. Follow her on instagram @oliviadipede and follow her journey at http://oliviadipede.com
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem