Culture > News

How this Pandemic has Taught Us the Importance of Politics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

In light of what is going on around the world, different leaders have been responding to COVID-19 differently.

While some world leaders were slow to respond, others moved swiftly and precisely. Professionalism, blame, confidence and buffoonery all come to mind when thinking about how the heads of state around the globe acted in this great time of need.

It is also this crisis that reminds us of the genuine impact that politics have on day to day people. Nowadays, political parties seem to have shifted their stances to “us versus them.” It is now that many people seem to realize that governments exist to serve their people, though some do otherwise. How responsive, how educated and well-versed with citizens our political leaders are is what determines their behaviour in light of chaotic events around the world.

The popularized phrase “the personal is political” seems fitting for the goings-on of today. Personal health, basic human rights are being challenged while the world braces itself for the worst that may be yet to come. Depending on where you live, leaders are caving into pressures, not doing enough or are at a crossroads with various representatives of their country’s citizens.

Perhaps it was our education system that failed to remind us of the detrimental or beneficial effects of those sitting in our parliaments. The bill you have to pay when you go to the pharmacy, to the waiting times in the hospital, the efficiency of the emergency services – all of these things depend on the kinds of leaders you choose.

There are countries around the world in which police, doctors and government officials are prone to asking for bribes in exchange of services we deem essential. The privatization of health care, of peace and military use up the taxes of day to day people. But what wars are being fought? Against which force of evil are your troops laying down their lives? How are the decisions being made by bureaucrats affecting you?

Someone you know may have had an abortion. Someone you know is an immigrant. Someone you know has been affected by a vicious disease and got the help they needed. You have access to the internet to read this very article right now but how? Your government most likely didn’t censor your internet.

You see, it’s little things that we take for granted every day that enable us to do so much. We don’t realize that the people that we have the opportunity to elect into parliament, office or whatever you want to call it, have the power to impact our daily lives. So, get involved in local politics to the best of your ability.

There shouldn’t be dirty and cunning people trying to rule a regional kingdom. The people being elected into office should share your ideas and views so that they can help you live out the life you want to. So that in times of need, you have the help you need. Not a leader that continuously shifts blame from one institute or person to another. Members of parliament only get elected by active citizens who care about their lives and being heard. Do you care?

sign saying fight today for a better tomorrow
Markus Spiske / Pexels

Priya Butter

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Priya is a student at Wilfrid Laurier University pursuing an Honours BA in Global Studies. Along with being a writer, Priya is a passionate dancer and advocate. Check out other work by Priya by visiting thedeconstructedsociety.ca !
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!