Life > Experiences

How My Sorority Experience Made Me More Confident

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Growing up, I never felt like I belonged or had a sense of who I was as a person. I would be constantly searching for something that I was passionate about. I tried sports, clubs, hobbies and the list goes on. Nothing stuck with me like I wanted it to, and nothing felt like the perfect fit. In my first few years at university, I stayed under the radar. I didn’t go out looking for things to do unless they came to me and basically fell in my lap. I embodied the true essence of a homebody.

After 2nd year, I stopped going to bars and stopped going out with my friends. I saw them at school and made time to study with them, but I was constantly passing up any social event that did not revolve around academics. This may sound like a pity party for myself, but I really just want to give you all some context so you can see how much my sorority has changed my life.

In my 2nd year, my best friend decided to rush Alpha Omega at Wilfrid Laurier University. I was so excited for her but I kept thinking to myself, “Why didn’t I do that?” and kept regretting my decision not to rush with her. That being said, she was initiated into Alpha Omega and she was way more involved with the WLU community. She always had a story to tell us about her new sisters and the things they were doing. I don’t think I have ever told her this, but it was always so hard to hear how much fun she was having when I felt like I wasn’t getting the same out of my university experience (all to my own fault).

I told myself that I needed to shape up and get my act together. So I decided to rush Alpha Omega the semester after she had. When this didn’t go as planned and I did not become a sister, I was heartbroken. It felt like the rug was pulled out from under me and that I was no longer good enough. The worst part was having to pretend to be happy around my BFF when she talked about her sorority. I could tell she would hold back details of the events she was going to in order to spare my feelings, but that just made it hurt more. 

So that brings us to September 2019, when I decided that rather than sulking like I had all summer and withdrawing from all of my friends and family, I would rush Alpha Phi. Being completely honest, I hadn’t looked much into either sorority before deciding to rush the first time because I went based on what my BFF had told me. But this time, I took my time researching everything I could about Alpha Phi. I wanted to make sure that this would be a good fit for me, and I even told my boyfriend that this was the last time I was putting myself out there. I did not want to feel the rejection again and the feeling of not having a place at Laurier was getting old, but I decided to give it another go.

And then I got very sick, very quickly. I went to the ER twice during the week of Fall Recruitment and missed three of the four events. I thought I had lost my chance, but I decided to email the Director of Recruitment and see if I could do anything to make up for the missed events. I didn’t hear back for about 24 hours and that was honestly the hardest day to sit through. I was constantly checking my emails waiting to hear back. When I finally did, they told me that I could go on a coffee date with one of the sisters to see if I would be a good fit for their sisterhood.

You better believe that I spent hours trying to find the perfect outfit and trying to figure out what I would say when she asked me questions. I almost didn’t go because I was so scared of being turned down again. When I met with the sister, she was way more down to earth than I thought she would be. She was friendly, kind and made me feel at home. It was like something clicked when we were talking about what I could offer the sorority and what it could offer me in return. About 20 minutes after my coffee date, she returned and they offered me my bid into Alpha Phi. I was so happy that the minute I left the coffee shop, I called my mom to tell her the good news.

Since joining the sorority, I really do feel like I have found my place in the Laurier community. I am able to raise money for causes that I am passionate about with others who share my interests. I get to hold a director position and hold myself accountable for the work that goes into it. I will get to mentor a newly-initiated sister, and hopefully inspire her in the same way that my big inspired me. The sorority helps me to get out into the campus community and meet new people. I can proudly say that I am no longer a homebody, and as much as I love my Netflix binges from the comfort of my couch, I actually get out and do things! I get to feel like I belong, and that is really the absolute best feeling in the world. I found my home away from home, and my sisters are all there to support me through thick and thin. 

Image: Instagram @wlualphaphi

If you are interested in rushing or joining Alpha Phi, please check out the Instagram page and the link in the bio (@wlualphaphi)! If you have any questions, shoot an email to wlualphaphi@gmail.com.

Taya Smith

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Taya is in her 4th year of her English major with minors in both Psychology and Criminology. When she is not drinking abundant amounts of coffee, you can find her procrastinating her school work by any means necessary. She is passionate about writing and hopes to pursue a career in either education or law.