How to Keep the Creative Juices Flowing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Have you ever stopped in the middle of an essay or short story because you just couldn’t figure out the next sentence, or even just suffered from plain old writer’s block? Feel like doodling but you just don’t know what to draw? Here are a few tips on how to solve that problem.

Sometimes when trying to be creative it can be impossible to come up with a good idea. Or you already have a good idea but have no clue what to do with it. Lucky for you, there are a few ways you can come up with ideas! For one, look at the world around you. If you see something that makes you smile, laugh or even feel a bit sad take note of it; it could be useful for coming up with ideas. If you see cool graffiti or a pretty tree, take a photo of it! That can also be inspiring. Keeping track of what you see could open doors of creativity for you. 

Having a notebook or journals can be really helpful when you need a little inspiration. That’s where you can keep all your observations. Another good idea is to keep a dream journal. How many times have you woken up from a crazy dream that you just have to tell your friend about? By keeping a dream journal by your bed, you’ll have loads of inspiration and all you did was sleep.

Not one for keeping track of things or taking notes? There are other ways to get that creativity flowing. For example, listening to music. Maybe try to find something new to listen to, or try playing your favourite movie soundtrack. Even just watching your favourite movie or show can help. Even better, Google a show similar to what you’re doing. It may be able to give you a few ideas for your own work.

Coming up with ideas can be difficult and sometimes all you need to do is take a break. Thinking too much about it just makes the project more stressful and it loses it’s fun. The last thing you want to do is take the fun away from whatever creative project you are working on. So take a break from it and relax! The ideas will come to you. Some just come faster than others. As long as you are having fun and enjoying what you’re doing, that’s all that should matter!

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons  
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her