This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Though midterm season is still ending, exams are just around the corner, waiting to inflict stress and havoc on students all over the world. As a student myself, I know that study habits and preferences are constantly changing, so it is important to try new things and see what works best. Since I am in second year, I am still getting into the groove of how I best study and understand the content, but the basic steps below have made my exam season less disastrous.

One Month Before

Though a month in advance may seem a bit early, starting ahead of schedule can prevent last-minute cramming and reduce stress. A month before exams start, I like to organize all my notes to ensure I have them from each lecture or chapter that was covered throughout the semester. The simple task of gathering the necessary materials I need makes me feel accomplished and organized, which can limit the hastiness I would feel a day before my exam.

Before exam season officially begins, I find it important to understand what material I know and can recollect and what topics I am completely overlooking. A technique I use involves using a blank sheet of paper and simply write down all the concepts I remember purely from memory. With this, I jot down any information I associate with that concept, which gives me a good idea of what I know very well and what I need to spend a little more time reviewing. It is imperative to not get discouraged or stressed when doing this technique, as this has simply revealed what information needs to be studied. So, now it’s just about scheduling time to follow through.

For me, creating a study schedule for each course means blocking out certain times for the next couple of weeks which I will be using to prepare for that specific exam. Study blocking can include times for watching lecture videos about a confusing topic, doing practice exams, participating in virtual study sessions or even creating and using flashcards.

Two Weeks Before

My technique of using a blank sheet of paper to jot down concepts from memory has proven to be a great way to test my knowledge. It has prevented purely memorizing information, as well as helped my understanding of concepts and being able to connect concepts between chapters. Though it may sound remedial and repetitive, it is a task that has forced and encouraged me to go through important concepts and definitions and then apply them.

During the planning phase of my exam preparation, I created a study schedule which will definitely come into play for the weeks and days leading up to my exams. Since I have scheduled in some practice exams, revision time, study groups and flashcard usage, I spend the upcoming days following through with these goals. Everybody learns material in a different way, but one method that has proven to be useful is always teaching someone else the material. Within my study groups, we create questions for one another and explain concepts in order to re-learn information, reinforce ideas or even gain new insights. By creating questions, I become familiar with the things I need to improve on, while also helping me evaluate my knowledge and reward my accomplishments.

Small breaks and rewards have always pushed me to maintain a balanced lifestyle and give myself time to unwind and recharge. Simply cramming material and forcing myself to memorize things all at once has never been helpful, so I find it vital to take the time to split study sessions into smaller chunks. Taking breaks to grab a glass of water, take a quick nap, go on a walk or listen to some music helps reorganize my thoughts and pace myself to prevent burnout.

Day Before

The point of starting preparations for exams in advance is to reduce stress and ensure that I am well-rested and focused during the day before and of an exam. The day before is used to revise notes, go through main concepts and review flash cards that I had a hard time understanding initially. These ideas may seem trivial, but early preparation and scheduling can prevent neglecting one course or spending too much time stressing over a single concept. I find talking to a friend or study buddy, or practicing certain questions and concepts, helps me feel more prepared and relaxed for the upcoming day.

The day before an exam is always going to be a little nerve-wracking and stressful. Some things I do to relax are lighting candles, listening to music, working out, playing some board games or taking a nap.

Day Of

On the day of an exam, my schedule usually includes drinking a ton of water, having a nice shower and eating a healthy and satisfying breakfast. As a student taking a bunch of math courses, I can attest to the fact that having a good breakfast before that 8:00 am exam will make a difference in performance.

Thanks for reading about some of my exam preparation methods! It is totally understandable to feel nervous, anxious or even repulsed by exam season, but hopefully, these tips make it a little more bearable and a whole lot less stressful. 

Isha Pabla

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Writing has always been a passion of Isha's, and while pursuing a major in business and computer science, she finds it wonderful to be able to exercise her creativity and activism with Her Campus. Isha enjoys writing about social justice issues, community engagement and social wellness.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!