This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Well, it’s finally December. What this means is that it is now more socially acceptable to break out your Christmas cheer. There are many great ways to celebrate the season, but I would like to focus on the movies. My goal is to break down how to host an unforgettable holiday movie night. So let’s get to it!

1. Invitations

First you have to decide who you want to invite: Friends, family, co-Workers, acquaintances — strangers? (the latter is not recommended). Once you have pinned the target attendees, you must let them know about your plans. Make sure to reserve a time slot which is reasonable yet allows for about two or three holiday movies. I would recommend something along the lines of starting at 5 pm and ending at midnight. Ask people to RSVP so you can make proper accommodations.

2. Attire

The way you present yourself is always fun to change up in honour of the holidays. Red and green and white are the colours of the Christmas spirit. You can paint nails with snowflake designs or break out your reindeer earrings. Christmas sweaters are tons of fun, with tinsel, bows and even lights — the whackier, the better! I always like to go all out when I can find the time. Thrift stores, such as Goodwill or Talize, always have festive-fun clothing options (although I would recommend going in the summer, because by the time winter comes around, the competition is on — last minute shopping is always a risk). Ask your guests to dress for the occasion and see what they come up with. As the host, you should also make an effort to jingle-bell-rock your most festive get up.

3. Decorations

As important as it is that you and your guests look the part, it is just as important that the venue matches. I’d recommend you have your Christmas tree up and glowing. Get your wreath up on the door! Hit up bath and body works for all their festive soaps and candles to take your house to a whole other level. Hang the mistletoe and the lights. Swap out your pillows and blankets with more appropriate holiday alternatives. Winterize your porch. Bring out the reds, greens, whites, silvers and snowflakes galore! Garland from the windows to the walls. Deck the halls!

4. Food

Food is essential. I honestly am more reluctant to attend events which don’t involve food. If you are hosting this event around dinner, then you will need to provide dinner. I recommend pizza for a movie night — that is easy. You could order a small, medium and large and place them one below another to claim they are a snowman. You could also say the triangular slices themselves are very much like the silhouette of a spruce tree. Both options are very much a stretch, so alternatively you could just offer them normal pizza. Popcorn is very easy to make festive: just mix in some red and green m&ms. I would strongly recommend having a hot chocolate bar and incorporate the alternative of hot apple cider for your lactose intolerant guests. Festive cookies are also strongly recommended.

5. Movies

I’m going to keep this to the point. Here are some movie suggestions: Elf (my favourite), The Grinch (2000), The Nightmare Before Christmas, Home Alone, Christmas Vacation, It’s a Wonderful Life … This list is limited to the first movies that popped into my head; however, there is an abundance of options online — just google search “Christmas movies.” If you are hosting a party, it’s probably best to allow for a vote. When guests RSVP, ask them to rank their top five movie choices.

In conclusion: People need more joy and you can give them that. I truly hope you are able to host the very most holly jolly Christmas event. May your guests leave feeling more festive than they’ve ever felt in their lives. Merry Christmas to all — and to all a good (movie) night.

Simmone Huras

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Simmone Huras is a 3rd year Political Science Major at Wilfrid Laurier University.
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.