This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

We’ve all definitely been in a situation where we’ve encountered a deeply egotistical person. Someone who’s always right, resentful and materialistic, along with quite a few other certain qualities. It’s pretty challenging to respond to these kinds of people in a conversation since it’s hard to know what they want to hear. However, with the help of this article, next time you encounter a person of this demeanor, you’ll know exactly what to do.

1. Talk Facts, not Feelings

Egotistical people tend to not really care about the feelings of others as they concentrate solely on themselves. If you tell them directly how they’re making you feel, there’s a good chance that they’ll completely disregard it. A good way to approach this is to speak using declarative statements. Using facts is something no one can argue with, and by using them instead of conveying emotion, egotistical people can’t disregard what you’re saying. This is a good way to gently lower them from their high horse.

2. Don’t Stoop to Their Level

It’s definitely easy to get angry when listening to someone talk who ignores societal standards and overlooks social cues. It can make it tempting to respond to them in the same manner in hopes that they will see how they’re coming across. Unfortunately, this tactic lowers you to their level and paints you basically in the same light. You definitely don’t want other people thinking of you the same way you think of someone who is egotistical. Everyone knows the phrase ‘if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em,” but that’s not really the greatest advice in this situation. Instead, think more “don’t fight fire with fire.”

3. Don’t Feed their Ego

That being said, while you don’t want to stoop to their level, you seriously don’t want to succumb and just feed into everything that they’re saying. Although this may seem like a gentle way not to upset them and get out of the situation, it will only make them want to talk more. Not only does this suck for you because the conversation starts to seem like it’s becoming perpetual, but it’s pretty bad for others around them since you’re only inflating their ego.

4. Set your Boundaries

If you feel offended or attacked by the big-headed person, don’t be afraid to set boundaries. By letting them know how you want to be treated, you’re not only disallowing them from walking all over you, but you’re helping them realize the boundaries that they’re crossing. I’m not saying you should enter into a rage and put them in their place, but you can sternly (not angrily) tell them something like, “I don’t let people talk to me like that.” Using a declarative statement, you’re setting the tone for the conversation.

It’s really important to remember that more times than not, egotistical people act in such a way because they’re deeply insecure. It’s more than okay to be insecure, everyone is in some way or another and it’s natural. What’s not okay is demeaning others and creating uncomfortable situations, and it’s okay to stand up for yourself in these types of settings. Don’t forget to practice kindness; what you put out into the universe will come back to you!

Tamara Jefak

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Tamara is in her third year at Wilfrid Laurier University and is pursuing a double major in English and Communication Studies. Alongside writing, she enjoys traveling, sparkling water, and dancing in the kitchen while cooking with her roommates.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!