This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Tarot reading is one of my favourite forms of self-care. Some of my biggest self-reflections have come in response to a reading, and I’ve been able to learn more about myself as a person. Personally, I’ve never had my cards read by someone else, but I’ve done readings for others and I’ve learnt how to make the process run more smoothly for everyone involved.

Know what you want to know

Typically, people go into a reading with a question in mind, something they want answered. More often than not, trying to find this answer brings up more questions. It’s generally a good rule of thumb to go to your reading with an idea of what you’re trying to figure out. Try and think about the root of your problem or question, as well as outside factors. Often these play vital roles in readings and going in with a general understanding of them will help you get the most out of your reading.

Go in expecting to be confused

Tarot is very free-flowing. Each card has an individual meaning, a reversed meaning, a meaning in conjunction with other cards, and a meaning in it’s spread. These are all variations of one another, and with a deck of 78 cards there’s a lot of room for interpretation. The major arcana, which contain 22 cards, represent milestones, lessons and important events. The minor arcana makes up the remaining deck and can be further broken down into suits of swords, wands, pentacles and cups. I could go more in depth on every card, however, the sheer amount I’d have to cover is far too much for a single article.

Be open-minded

Tarot is closely associated with magic and all that hocus pocus stuff. Whether you believe in otherworldly forces or not, it’s important to recognize that tarot readings are a form of divination, meaning it’s a way to evaluate influences surrounding someone or an event, as well as possible outcomes. It is used as a tool to provide someone with a greater understanding of their life, while also promoting self-reflection. However, for some tarot readers, their practice is associated with some form of witchcraft, be it religious or not. This makes it incredibly important to go into readings with an open mind. Plenty of people practice tarot reading and consider it a very personal practice. Therefore, it’s a completely judgement-free zone.

Prepare yourself to be drained

Tarot requires a lot of emotional energy. Not only do you have to confront various aspects of your life, when you figure out something important, the pure catharsis that comes with it or the absolute disarray that follows is enough to put me asleep on the busiest of days. It drains you to the core because it requires being open about your emotions.

Make changes

When you enter a reading, you go in with a question and you come out with tools that will help you find the answer you need. The reading is easily wasted if you don’t make a conscious effort to apply what you’ve learned.

Tarot is an incredible tool that helps provide you with a better understanding of your life. Why not make the most of it?

Kathryn Morton

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kathryn is a third year language student who spent her first year stumbling through Laurier's financial mathematics program before ultimately changing her major. Yes, she's aware those two have no overlap, we don't talk about that. This is her third year writing for Her Campus Laurier.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her