How To Embrace Your Summer While Working Full-Time!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

How on Earth is it June already? We know that feeling; the summer that you have so eagerly awaited is slipping through your fingers. It is so incredibly hard to feel like you are really embracing summer when you are working all the time; it just doesn’t seem like it used to. Whether you are working 9-5 or you are working some crazy shift work, we want to help you have some summer fun and really use that time that you have off to your advantage.

Here are some of our tips, collegiettes!

‘Country Roads Take Me Home’

One of our best words of advice is if you don’t have a cottage, find a friend with one! Cottage weekends can keep you going throughout the summer, as they add a little bit of sunshine and relaxation into your life. If you get an offer to head into cottage country, don’t pass it up. If you don’t have any friends with one, look into grabbing a bunch of your friends and renting a little place; if you all pitch in, you can find places super affordable!

Mini Road Trips

Yes, it may be 5pm after a long day, or one of your couple days off in the week, but that means that it’s most definitely time for an adventure. Grab your friends, grab your favourite snacks, and hit the road! No matter where you live, there is bound to be something cool in the next few towns over that you haven’t discovered yet, so let the adventure begin and don’t forget to snap some pictures!

P.S. Our favourite song to start a road trip is ‘Life is a Highway’ – Bon Jovi.

Get Your Booty Moving!

Summer has some of the best sports and activities, so don’t forget to take advantage of them. There is ultimate Frisbee, slack lining, paddle boarding, canoeing, or just tossing the ball around. It’s great to get out and get some sunshine rays, especially when working an office job!

Conquer It!

Whether it’s finding a shooting range, learning to bake macaroons, or playing the guitar, why are you waiting? Go for it! You will surely love bragging about the awesome new thing you learned or experienced this summer come September, and that feeling of accomplishment puts you on top of the world! Maybe you can convince a friend to try it too. Then you will have someone to drag you out for some summer fun, even when you are way too lazy.

Mid-Week Party!

There is nothing like getting stuck in your routine of going to bed at 9pm all summer long. While we agree this may be crucial for you to function the next day and survive the week, you shouldn’t be afraid to have a wild night mid-week every once in a while (within reason of course!). Let your hair down, go see a concert, take a boat cruise, go for late night drinks in some heels, or just stay out later than usual.  The next day might be a little tougher to get out of bed, but those memories will last and you will have some great stories to share come September.

Patio Lanterns

Long live patio season! Summer drinks on the patio are a MUST, and it is so easy to call up some friends and arrange to meet after work. Catch that last bit of the day’s sunshine rays from the patio and try a new cocktail or cider!

Instagram (@hercampuslaurier) or Tweet (@HerCampusWLUCA) your favourite pictures from your adventures this summer and hashtag #HCSummerAdventures!

You can typically find katy cuddled up with her favourite blankie, under the twinkle lights, drinking some peppermint tea and listening to Ben Howard. She spends her evenings switching between gushing over wedding videos and catching up on some Gilmore Girls. She loves her little nephew, everything knit, & all things with sparkles. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem