This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s every golden hawk’s favourite time of year again: homecoming! This is the one time of year we all come together and celebrate our school spirt and everyone is cheering and showing their Laurier pride by wearing purple and gold! It is the time of year the Laurier community really comes out and school starts to feel like home. It’s an event you don’t want to miss. Unless you have no choice but to miss it,  like myself, who decided to study abroad.

Just because I am not at Laurier doesn’t mean I won’t participate in the festivities. It doesn’t take much to take part in a Laurier homecoming. All you have to do is show your Laurier pride with small things, like a pancake breakfast! It makes sure that you have a nice morning breakfast and is part of the tradition. You can also visually show your pride by throwing on some purple and gold, even if it is just a sweater or a hair accessory. Plus, with social media, it’s easy to show off your school pride!

The football game itself is webcasted live so you can watch it, even if you’re not in the crowd. If you’re too busy to watch you can check Twitter for live updates.

Another big Laurier tradition is the drinking. Of course, you should never feel pressured to drink, but if you are of age and like a good drink or two, then there is nothing wrong with having a drink on your own. It’s like you’re drinking with your fellow golden hawks in spirit, even if it is just a glass of wine with dinner.

It may appear that I am missing out but in reality, I’m not. I can still participate and not physically be present. It’s all about the school spirit!

At the end of the day homecoming isn’t about the partying but about the community. It isn’t just current students that attend but anyone who has ever gone to Laurier as a student. You don’t have to be there to celebrate, you just have to be a golden hawk. Whether we go to the game; whether we win or lose, we stand together as golden hawks. No matter where you are, as long as you have school spirit you’re a part of the festivities and you have no need to feel left out!

Once a golden hawk, always a golden hawk. Laurier will always be there to welcome you home!

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons  
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.