How Calorie Counting Apps Distorted My Perception of Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

When I entered university, I was bombarded by a new lifestyle. Suddenly, I had to cook for myself and buy my own food. Pair that with a McDonald’s across the street, a newfound ability to drink and a complete lack of exercise.

Mcdonaldsfries
Alex Frank / Spoon
I guess you can see where this is going: I gained weight. It was the dreaded Freshie 15, and I decided to enter a calorie deficit to combat it. I downloaded a “fitness app” that did it all: calculated exactly how many calories you needed to lose a few pounds, counted these calories for you and calculated how much exercise you should do in a day. I went from eating around 2000 calories a day to exactly 1,360.

close up on woman holding smart phone in hands
Kaboompics .com via Pexels
At first, I was shocked to see how many calories were in things I ate every day, from apples to Barbeque sauce. It was also horrible to realize that just one meal could take up all of my allotted calories for the day. I went from eating when I was hungry to making sure I was under my calorie limit, eating a few crackers and hoping it would satiate me. Obviously, it never did, and I fell into a pattern of proudly eating as few calories as I could in a day to “binging” the next. The fact is, most days I had only eaten around 2000 calories, but due to my skewed perception, I counted it as a binge. The fitness app I had would count your calories on a bar. If you were under, the bar was green, if you went over, the bar showed an ugly red. That way, to me it didn’t matter if I was over 10 or 200 calories; if the fitness app told me it was bad, I wholeheartedly believed it.

This shitty app was now controlling my life. Suddenly, I was always thinking about my next meal. The idea of food loomed over my mind like a dark cloud. I was constantly planning to fit in meals with the calories I had been allotted by the app. Each day, I decided what I was going to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, most often skipping a meal in order to fit in fast food or a drink from Starbucks. Instead of seeing food as fuel, I saw it as my number one enemy. Looking back, it’s insane how quickly everything went downhill. I became obsessed and my mental health was suffering.

When I finally realized what was happening to me and how much I had changed in a few mere months, I knew I had to take back my life. It took me a while, but I am starting to feel more comfortable in the amount I eat again. I’ve learned that the number of calories a person needs is not a fixed thing. The amount you will need and the number of calories you burn varies each day, so please listen to your body and eat when you’re hungry.

a woman stands over the stove cutting an herb out of a pot on the window sill with a pair of scissors. there are pans of pasta stirfry on the burner.
Tina Dawson | Unsplash

Hailey Inman

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Hailey Inman is a first year Psychology major who's minoring in french. She loves reading, writing and painting.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.