How to be a Good Roommate During Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Midterm season is approaching and we all know how stressful this time is for everyone. Your midterm self is probably a little different than your regular self because exams and deadlines bring out the worst in us. If you live with your friends, or just other people in general, try these tricks for living harmoniously during midterm season.

Quiet time

Be a decent person and don’t blast your music when your roommate is trying to sleep or study. Don’t talk obnoxiously loud on the phone and don’t have your TV on full volume. If you want to do any of these activities, be respectful and use headphones. If you’re having friends over, talk with your roommates so they know that they might need to go elsewhere to study. Some people can study amidst noise, but a lot of people like to be focused with a clear mindset. Be courteous of your roommate’s study time.

Don’t talk to them when they’re clearly trying to do work

This goes along with the quiet time, but in a different way. If your roommate is working on a last minute assignment or cramming for a big exam, you can wait to tell them about your day. If you’re friends with your roommate, you may want to share some gossip or news right away, but the last thing they want is that distraction when they have a time limit. We all know what it’s like trying to race to that 11:59 p.m. deadline and when you’re in the zone, you’re locked in. Trust me, your roommate will care just as much about your news when they’re done whatever it is they’re working on.

Don’t take your anger out on them

Midterm season is a stressful and hellish few weeks. Don’t direct your frustrations to your roommates or your friends. You may recognize where this anger is coming from, but your roommates won’t. Relax, take a deep breath and take time to figure things out. Let your roommates know that midterms are stressing you out and that you may be more distant to get all your work done. It’s better to be transparent than passive-aggressive and cold.

Communicate

The most important rule for any living situation, whether it’s with your friend, sibling or significant other is to communicate. As a non-confrontational person, I understand not wanting to rock the boat – but at what cost? Your anger will only grow and you’ll begin to resent your roommates. Sometimes all it takes is a simple conversation to bring about a compromise. You’ll never know how easy it is to sort out your roommate problems unless you ask.

Midterm season is hard, but being a good roommate doesn’t have to be. Respect your fellow housemates and (hopefully) they’ll do the same.

Mary Shanahan

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Mary is a fourth-year English student at Wilfrid Laurier University.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.