This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Good communication, patience and mutual respect – sounds awfully like a relationship, doesn’t it? Maybe that’s not what you signed up for, but being a good roommate requires a lot of the same key aspects as being a good partner in a relationship. With COVID-19, a lot of us are living at home, while others are enjoying living independently or with friends. In either case, it is impossible not to get into tiny disputes, but here are some tips on how to be a respectful and suitable roommate to friends or family.

Quiet Time

It is inevitable that noise will be made and heard throughout the day, but whilst writing an exam worth 45%, who wouldn’t request and expect some peace and quiet? Give your roommates a heads up if you have an upcoming quiz, midterm, exam or Zoom call that is important. Instead of getting upset about noise, simply let your roommates know ahead of time. Make sure to always show the same courtesy that you expect! It goes without saying that having friends or company over is something that should be discussed or mentioned to your roommates. Especially with COVID-19, it might be uncomfortable for one to walk into their living room and see unwanted people around, so be respectful and safe.

Chores

Having a schedule for taking on tasks can be a great way to avoid conflicts and divide responsibilities equally. It is not fun to feel like someone’s babysitter or to constantly remind them to take on their equal share of chores, so creating a schedule can help resolve that. For example, taking out the garbage, sweeping the floor and cleaning the bathroom can all be a part of a weekly chore chart. Of course, nobody’s perfect so make sure to be understanding.

Communication and Compromise

Have something to say? The best thing to do is say it. Instead of talking to your friends or others about it behind their back, have a conversation about whatever is bothering you, preferably in person. Make sure to be mature and calm and not aggressive or angry. For example, if you don’t like that your roommate stacks their dirty dishes in the sink for four days straight, the best thing to do is have a conversation about it. Simply state your concern and offer a solution or appropriate compromise. In this case, you can offer to take on that task while they take on another chore. Another part of this is discussing what items you would like to share or purchase together. If you want to share or not share certain food, don’t be afraid to mention it.

Be Aware

Self-awareness is going to be helpful for everyone. Be aware of bad habits or qualities that you can improve on. Notice if your music is too loud, if you are being too loud with your friends or consistently not doing your chores without a reminder. Be empathetic and patient and give the same treatment as you would like.

Thank you for reading about some of my tips on being a good roommate and how to better get along with them.

Isha Pabla

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Writing has always been a passion of Isha's, and while pursuing a major in business and computer science, she finds it wonderful to be able to exercise her creativity and activism with Her Campus. Isha enjoys writing about social justice issues, community engagement and social wellness.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her