This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Growing up, I’m sure you have heard of, if not watched, Avatar: The Last Airbender. A spin-off of this series, entitled The Legend of Korra, has received much criticism for not living up to the expectations of some people, although it has won the hearts of many. As a warning, if you have yet to watch the series, there may be minor spoilers ahead.

Mako

Now, on the surface, Mako seems like a half-decent guy that doesn’t raise any red flags. But, as the series progresses, I noticed some things about Mako that didn’t quite sit well with me. Despite being a solid six out of ten, Mako’s behaviour doesn’t begin to make up for his shortcomings. He wasn’t appreciative of Korra nor did he provide her the support that she needed. On top of that, he consistently toyed with Korra and Asami’s feelings throughout the show. When it came down to him deciding who he wanted to be with at the end, Mako wasn’t really kind to either Korra or Asami.

Unfortunately, this Firebender is not hot at all.

Opal

This character took me by surprise. Not only was I not expecting to meet Opal and her family, but I was also blown away by Opal herself. Opal stands by her principles, grows when necessary and in spite of the fact that she’s a side character, she definitely stood out to me. She’s gorgeous and uses her voice to stand up for what she believes in.

Opal is definitely a hottie.

Bolin

It took me a while to warm up to Bolin because he came across as a self-absorbed d-bag. But the more the show progressed, the more we learned of Bolin as he provided much of the comic relief. Not only was Bolin charming through his looks, but he also has quite a sweet personality. He didn’t deserve the toxicity and abuse he faced in one of his romantic relationships. Throughout the show, Bolin demonstrates his ability to develop into the selfless and surprisingly bold character that we know and love.

Bolin is, for sure, a certified hottie.

Lin Beifong

Okay. Where do I begin with Lin Beifong? Not only is she super attractive, but under her cool exterior, she hides her true feelings. Perhaps her past trauma lies at the root of it all, which leads almost all of the viewers to love her more. Did I mention she’s LITERALLY ICONIC? She’s the Chief of Police and an incredibly powerful bender. By continuously standing up for what she believes in, Lin Beifong is a role model for many people. I know, I know. She’s like fifty. BUT STILL.

Queen Lin Beifong is HOT.

Avatar Wan

The one who started it all. He was introduced as a fun-loving change-maker who accidentally starts the avatar cycle. Despite this mistake, he succeeds in his journey to unite the world – or at least his attempt to do so. In my opinion, Wan is kind of cuter than I expected. If you put together his personality, looks and development throughout the series, I suppose he does win on paper. I still think Wan is a bit lackluster in character though.

Sorry, y’all. Wan is not quite a hottie.  

Varrick

Oh, gosh. When I hear Varrick’s name, my mind instantly jumps to Tony Stark on steroids. The energy that Varrick brings to the show is chaotic but lovable. However, the audience is left questioning his intentions quite a few times throughout the show. Yes, Varrick does redeem himself at some points as we see his character develop, but I’m still not quite convinced that he deserves a crown.

Sadly, I cannot crown Varrick as a hottie.

Zhu Li

What a STRONG woman! Zhu Li absolutely carried Varrick and his company the entire show. She did the “thing” every time Varrick wanted her to, without question. Throughout Zhu Li and Varrick’s journey, the audience is angered, saddened and finally given a good sense of closure. Zhu Li is not only book smart but also smart smart. Is that a thing? Well, now it is!

Zhu Li is brains and brawn, I’d say!

Asami

Asami can walk into the room and make heads turn. Not only because of her killer looks, but because she is stronger than most people initially realized. She struggles with family trauma, betrayal and heartbreak. Yet, she still finds a way out of the storm, while managing to stay level-headed and fighting for what she believes in. She stood by Korra through highs and lows. Asami challenged herself and others to become someone the audience knows and loves.

Asami is definitely hot.

Korra

Korra is the character who had the most expectations leading up to the show. A lot of people expected her to be much like Aang. Korra takes the audience on an intimate journey through her life experiences. She transforms from an arrogant meathead athlete into a spiritually and morally poised, super-powerful athlete. I think Korra’s development is the most authentic we have seen thus far from any character in the series. Not only is Korra’s personality amazing, but she also looks amazing. I have to admit, I was not a big fan of long-haired Korra. I fell madly in love with the short-haired look that Korra adopted later in the show. Everything is tied together by Korra’s outfit and her timeless muscular build.

KORRA IS HOT.

There you have it, folks. That was my rendition of what I thought of the cast of The Legend of Korra. While there are some characters who have questionable personalities and/or beliefs, it gifts the viewers with an incredible set of characters. It’s clearly my favourite of the two animated shows – but that’s a topic for another time.  

Priya Butter

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Priya is a student at Wilfrid Laurier University pursuing an Honours BA in Global Studies. Along with being a writer, Priya is a passionate dancer and advocate. Check out other work by Priya by visiting thedeconstructedsociety.ca !
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!