This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

October, a whole month dedicated to horror because of one holiday that lies on the last day, Halloween. For young me, Halloween was always a time to show off my creativity and dress up in the most extravagant costumes. However, as I have gotten older, I’ve started to appreciate the spooky side of Halloween and the abundance of horror media that comes out during this period. Nevertheless, I am still a huge scaredy-cat and will refuse to watch a horror movie at all costs. So, I present you with my list of YouTubers that center their content around horror, but present their videos in a way that won’t have you staying up all night.

MissMangoButt

The host of MissMangoButt, Stephanie Soo, has multiple channels and series pertaining to different topics but all of them have one thing in common, and that is Stephanie’s amazing story-telling skills. For this list, I will be spotlighting her “Baking a Mystery” series, where she retells thriller and horror media while baking. Her retellings range from books, to movies, short-stories and even TV series. Her videos are engaging, keeping only the most important details, but her ability to recall exact dialogue and phrases still makes you feel like you watched the actual movie. Her proficiency in Korean and her husband’s proficiency in Mandarin allows her to cover East-Asian media with accurate translations. My recommendations would be her video on “No Exit” and “Lost in the Stars.”

MrBallen

Past member of the US Navy to now professional storyteller, MrBallen specializes in real life horror stories. He has videos dedicated to single stories and multiple story series, some examples being “Top 3 Strange But True” and “Top 3 photos with DISTURBING backstories”. What makes his channel so unique and terrifying is the thought that the stories he tells could happen to you. Rather than a piece of fiction, someone in real life experienced it and you could be next. MrBallen is an amazing storyteller who engages you by only telling the strange details at the end of the video. The way he structures his stories ensures that it is easy to understand without the main details, and then you are left shocked at the end when he drops the peculiar information. I would recommend any of the videos in the photos series; having a visual connected to the story makes it way spookier.

Mista GG

Moving away from storytellers but still in the same realm, Mista GG focuses his content on horror movies, specifically BAD horror movies. His videos will be a palette cleanser after watching the previous two channels. The main bulk of Mista GG’s videos are retellings of bad horror movies, with his comedic commentary in between. He also occasionally posts videos about great horror movies and gives his analysis on meanings of certain scenes and/or details. Watching his videos is a time to laugh at horrible horror movie writing while simultaneously being in awe of mind-bending horror movie concepts. My recommendations would be his review on “The Nun” and his analysis on “Perfect Blue”.

Watcher

I will say that this channel is the scariest in this list. Watcher has series that aren’t horror based but I will focus on their horror series for this list, specifically “Ghost Files”. The series follows co-hosts Ryan Bergara and Shane Madej on their journey to find supernatural evidence. The two travel to different haunted sites and explore the premises with their ghost-hunting tools. They include videos of others recounting their experience at the sites, as they try to experience the supernatural themselves. The eerie footages are lightened up by the bantering between the co-hosts, but it can be frightening when they do capture strange occurrences during their visit. My recommendations would be their visit to the Hull-House Museum and  The Old Montana Prison.

Hope you enjoyed this list and have a great and frightening time while binging these channels!

Erika Chow

Wilfrid Laurier '26

Erika Chow is a student majoring in Business Administration at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario. She is one of the writers at her university’s Her Campus chapter and loves putting her weekly bursts of inspiration into articles that can be shared and read by others. She writes one article every week and also participates in pitching article ideas to other writers during their meetings. Erika’s work experience ranges from fast-paced food services jobs to formal office-setting positions. She has worked at Tim Hortons as a Team member where she interacted with customers to ensure they got the meal they wanted with the best hospitality experience. She has also been an accounting assistant at Community Living York South, where she had to have strong attention to detail when dealing with the invoices of the organization’s clients. One of her favourite experiences was volunteering at Education For All, where she got to utilize her creativity to design activities that she used when teaching her class of elementary kids. In her free time, Erika enjoys watching Youtube videos, baking, dancing, and hanging out with her friends and family. She’s also a mega k-pop fan and has been to a few concerts. She’s up to date with all the pop culture drama and loves to have thought-provoking conversations while fangirling.