Holiday Gift Guide: The Perfect Book for Every Family Member

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The winter break is the perfect time to put down the textbooks and pick up some lighter reading material. Books are often underappreciated and misunderstood gifts, but if you do it right everyone will wish you were their secret Santa this year. Books can be extremely thoughtful gifts and the perfect vessel to say what we mean without having to directly say it. Here are some of our picks that are sure to please even the most reluctant readers on your list! 

Sisters First: Stories from Our Wild and Wonderful Life by Barbara Bush and Jenna Bush Hager is the perfect book to gift your sister or that special gal pal in your life. If you know a certain someone who has an affinity for sisterhood, history and pop culture, make sure to pick up a copy this Christmas! 

Wonder by Raquel J. Palacio could even make the toughest member of your family tear up. A great pick for mom or dad, but especially good for younger children as they start the WONDER Certified Kind Program that’s being implemented in schools. Your little brother or sister will love reading the book before your family sees the blockbuster starring Jacob Tremblay. 

Milk and Vine: Inspirational Quotes from Classic Vines by Adam Gasiewski and Emily Beck is the perfect gift for that relative who doesn’t like to take things too seriously. Milk and Vine mimic and poke fun at the best-seller written by Rupi Kaur while showcasing some of our all-time favourite Vines. This could be a great stocking stuffer or white elephant gift that will be sure to leave your guests laughing. 

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty is the perfect pick for your aunt who loves chick lit with a dark twist. Although it was released in 2014, it continues to be a favourite and took the Emmys by storm this year. You may be introducing this relative to their new favourite author, as she never seems to turn out a bad novel and many of her other works are also being optioned for film. 

Men are always the hardest to buy for especially when it comes to books…you can only get dad so many John Grisham or Malcolm Gladwell books before it becomes redundant. If your dad is a golf fanatic, then Miracle at Augusta by James Patterson and Peter de Jonge might be a good pick to shake things up. 

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas is a poignant pick for your YA enthusiast, as it tackles some heavy themes. If you’re looking for something a little more light-hearted, try the To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before series by Jenny Han or John Green’s newest novel, Turtles All The Way Down

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng was one of the most awaited novels this year. It is the perfect book for mom, as it explores moral and ethical dilemmas. At its core, it is really about the trials and triumphs of a mother-daughter relationship. 

We hope someone treats you to one of these gems this holiday season! Happy reading, Golden Hawks! 

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.
Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier University