Style

Holiday Décor to Satisfy the Grinches in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

There are two types of people in the world. Those who like the holiday season…

And those who don’t.

I’m of the former. I love the holidays. It’s all about spending time with loved ones, sharing your appreciation for the people in your life and being extra generous to those in need. I’m the kind of person who likes to go all out in my festivities. I go to Christmas parades, search for the best-decorated house in my neighbourhood and surround myself with as many decorations as possible.

Not everyone I live with shares my passion for the holidays, though. And, while I would be more than content turning the apartment into Santa’s village, I know that sentiment is not shared.

Our compromise? Cute and tasteful décor that doesn’t cross the line into being too obnoxious. From tapestries to string lights, here are some of the ways you can decorate your place for the holidays without giving your roommates aneurisms.

Colour Schemes

Having a colour scheme can make or break your decorating success. They set the entire mood for the room! Green and red, while classic, can be a bit much for people who aren’t into the holidays like you are. My tip is to go with another popular colour scheme: gold and white. It isn’t too obviously a holiday colour scheme, but will still elevate your own holiday spirit. You don’t even have to stick to the typical holiday décor! I put up tinsel door curtains on one of our living room walls and it’s added the perfect amount of sparkle to the apartment.

You can get some gold decorations here:

Gold Fringe Doorway Curtain, Party City, $9.99

Mini Gold Tinsel Garland, Party City, $1.25

Season, Not Holiday

Instead of filling your place with decorations specific to the holiday you celebrate, try to focus on the season. Winter-themed décor can be really stunning, bright and cheerful, which makes it right in line with the holiday season! Even just hanging some snowflakes is a simple and elegant way to spruce things up.

DIY your snowflakes, or buy some here:

Snowflake Cutouts (30 ct), Party City, $7.99

Glitter White Snowflake, Party City, $0.99

Tapestries

Can’t have a Christmas tree? Get one on a tapestry! Whether you go for a more traditional green design or a more understated and creative design, it’ll help to boost the festive mood. My roommate conveniently had a gold pine tree tapestry already and it’s great; because to me it’s essentially our Christmas tree, but to my less enthusiastic roommates, it’s just a pretty gold tree.

Here are a few different tapestries you can get online to complete your space:

Christmas Tree Wall Tapestry, Society6, $44.99

Evergreen Tree Wall Tapestry, Society6, $44.99

Winter Night Wall Tapestry, Society6, $44.99

Tufted Christmas Tree Tapestry, Urban Outfitters, $89.00

String Lights

String lights make any room feel warmer and cozier, making them the perfect addition to your holiday décor. They are really easy to set up too: five minutes is all it takes to make the room that much more festive!

Here are some different string lights you can purchase online:

Globe String Lights, Urban Outfitters, $34.00

BLÖTSNÖ LED String Light, IKEA, $19.99

VISSVASS LED String Light, IKEA, $6.99

Follow these tips and even the grinches in your life will be like:

Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.