alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Highlights of the 2020 Grammy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Sunday’s 62nd Grammy Awards was a whirlwind of performances, tributes and awards celebrating the best in music. I know that many of us are unable to watch these award shows because we’re too busy studying – so I kindly ignored my two midterms to bring you all a breakdown of what I think were the highlights of the show. You’re welcome.

I have to be honest with you though, this show was 3.5 hours. 3.5!!! Around the 2.5 hour mark I really just couldn’t do it anymore – but I’ve done my research to ensure you have all the info, including the biggest awards that were given out after I gave up. Without further ado, here are my highlights of the 2020 Grammy Awards.

Lizzo

Lizzo kicked off the show with performances of “Cuz I Love You” and “Truth Hurts” – girl showed off her PIPES and…flute skills? Seriously, a flute dropped from the sky mid-performance and she played a segment of the song on it…it was amazing. This performance was a lot but the transition between songs was awesome, featuring ballet that slowly turned into hip hop and a complete costume change.

In addition, Lizzo brought home the Grammy for Best Traditional R&B Performance for “Jerome,” Best Urban Contemporary Album for Cuz I love You (Deluxe) and Best Pop Solo Performance for “Truth Hurts.” My fave Lizzo moment of the night was the camera shot of her chanting for Beyoncé to win Best Pop Solo Performance instead of herself. Queens support queens.

Host With the Most

Alicia Keys was the absolute perfect host, especially in light of the tragic helicopter accident that killed Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and seven others on Sunday. Keys performed an a cappella rendition of “It’s So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday” with Boys II Men, beautifully acknowledging the lives of those who were lost through something that connects us all: music. She also made comments on various social issues (a jab at the Academy – perhaps?!) through a performance of Lewis Capaldi’s “Someone You Loved” with alternated lyrics. My favourite line? “It’s when good people do nothing that the bad guys win.”

Jonas Brothers ft. Special Guest

The Jonas Brothers performed their new single “Five More Minutes” – which I will 100 percent be adding to my playlist. The performance was super fun and gave me major Grease hand jive vibes, but the real showstopper in this number was the spinach caught in Nick’s teeth. Luckily, Nick was chill and took to Twitter to acknowledge the humour of the whole thing.

Tyler, the Creator

Personally, I was not a fan of Tyler, the Creator’s medley performance, there was just way too much happening and I felt like I was on drugs. I was honestly a little scared. However, he snagged the Grammy for Best Rap Album for IGOR and proved he’s the most adorable by accepting the award alongside his mom. He also made some thought-provoking comments on the Grammy system as a whole after his win.

Usher’s Tribute to Prince

Usher did a tribute to Prince, performing “Little Red Corvette,” “When Doves Cry” and “Kiss.” This number got some mixed reviews in the media, but personally I really enjoyed it! Then again, Usher could wear a garbage bag and just stand there and I’d probably still like it. He’s just so cool.  

Camila Cabello Makes us Cry

Camila Cabello’s performance of “First Man” had us all in TEARS as she serenaded her dad (who she also brought as her date) with this beautiful song. There were home videos playing, she held her dad’s hand as she sang the end of the song and he cried, it was really just all too much. The first time I heard this song I nearly cried in the science atrium – so suffice to say, I loved this performance.

Ariana Grande

Our girl Ariana Grande who was nominated for FIVE Grammys performed “Imagine,” “7 Rings” and “Thank U, Next,” in a number that I truly think is what boys picture when they imagine female slumber parties. 

Fashion

SPARKLES seemed to be the theme of the night – and I was here for it. Some of my faves were Alicia Keys’ gorgeous silver dress, Billy Porter’s sparkly turquoise fit (I mean – there was a veil with a REMOTE CONTROL!) and Billie Eilish and brother Finneas in their matching outfits during their performance. I also loved Camila Cabello’s pink look during her performance, and we CANNOT leave out Lil Nas X in his pink suit. 10 stars.

Demi Lovato’s Return to the Stage

In my opinion, this was one of the most underrated moments of the whole night. Demi Lovato graced us with her first live performance in two years, singing “Anyone,” a song she wrote just four days prior to her overdose in 2018. After an emotional opening of the song, the piano player restarted and Lovato absolutely crushed the performance, earning a standing ovation.

Billie Eilish Wins Everything

Last but most certainly not least, Billie Eilish TOOK OVER the Grammys and is now the second person ever to win all four major Grammys in one year. Eilish won five overall, including Song of the Year, Best New Artist, Best Pop Vocal Album, Record of the Year, Best Pop Solo Performance and Album of the Year.

She can be seen mouthing “Please don’t be me. Please,” before her Album of the Year win and says in her acceptance speech “Can I just say that I think Ariana deserves this?” Sorry Billie, but if anything, this makes us like you even more. Can we also note that this win broke records and made Eilish the youngest winner of Album of the Year?! YES.

So there you have it, my highlights of the 2020 Grammy Awards. While the show overall was decent and fairly entertaining, my recommendations would be to SHORTEN THE SHOW and to give out more than three awards in the first two hours. Happy awards season!

Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.