Here’s How to Get Your New Year’s Resolutions Back on Track

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I can hardly believe it’s already March, and the first two months of 2022 have come and gone. Like most of us, I also thought about what goals I wanted to set for myself in 2022. Yet now it’s March, and sometimes these resolutions seem like a vague memory already.

It’s common for most people to throw their New Year resolutions out the window by late February or early March. Around this time, most people begin to realize their goals are unattainable or too hard to pursue, so they give up instead. Getting restarted can sometimes be the most challenging part, but sometimes all that’s needed is a little bit of motivation. Here are some tips to keep you from giving up on your New Year goals and stay on track:

change your perspective

Instead of dreading the remaining months of 2022, focus on the progress already made. Most people give up on their goals early because they feel exhausted even when thinking about following through with them for another ten months. Sometimes all you need is to tweak your resolutions a little, and you’ll be back on the right track in no time.

Find the challenge

If you’re struggling to make it past three months, then it’s likely that the resolution isn’t working with your existing habits or schedule. Find out and pinpoint where the challenge is in your goals. If it’s a conflict with your daily schedule, change them a little to make it work for you. For example, if you’re trying to work out for an hour a day but can’t find the time to do so, try splitting the time apart into 30 minutes two times a day. A simple yoga routine early in the morning and a HIIT session later in the day is better than not doing any at all.

positive self-talk

Trying to build good habits and a better lifestyle is hard work! No doubt, sticking to New Year resolutions requires dedication and commitment. If you have a setback, remind yourself that you’re doing better than you were last year and that it’s progress over perfection. Don’t forget to motivate yourself with positive affirmations and remind yourself that any setbacks are part of the progress toward the finish line.

more wins than losses

Remember that successes and losses always come together. Every time you succeed at something, it’s likely that you’ve failed at the same thing more than once before. Everyone has ups and downs, and you can’t have one without the other. Plan to expect failures within your resolutions because no one can do it perfectly. That way, next time you fail to hit your weekly goals, instead of giving up and walking away from the resolutions completely, you can find your way back on track.

If all else fails, sometimes the best way to keep on track to achieve resolutions is to have a friend with a similar goal. The buddy system works to keep each other accountable and can often make working towards achieving your goals usually more fun and less like work. Remember, the more realistic the resolutions are, the more achievable they will be. You’ve got this!

Melissa Huen

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Melissa is in her 4th year at Wilfrid Laurier University, studying Music Therapy with a minor in Psychology. When she's not busy raving about her hometown, Vancouver, BC, you can find her baking, travelling, or checking out the newest restaurants in town.