This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

For some people, awards season is something that goes by with very little acknowledgement. For others, it’s all-consuming. It’s extremely easy to get swept up in awards season and the drama that accompanies it. Every year there’s a handful of big headlines that emerge, good and bad; an overrated movie taking it all, a breathtaking red carpet moment. This year was no different, and bringing you some of the highlights and lowlights of this year’s awards season are the team members of Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier!

Highlight: I love seeing all the beautiful dresses, hairstyles and makeup looks!

Lowlight: As much as I like the hair, makeup and clothes, it also makes me self-conscious.

HCWLU Contributor

Highlights: Samuel L. Jackson, who got his first film role from Spike Lee, presenting Spike Lee with his first Oscar and the wholesome excitement that ensued. Also, Jason Momoa and Helen Mirren, and Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson, were the absolute dream teams presenting together.

Lowlight: Honestly, every decision the Academy made and then retracted. Doing editing and cinematography during the commercial breaks? Who thought that was a good idea?

– Madeline, Co-President

Highlight: Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse winning Best Animated, instead of the Disney or Pixar animation.

Lowlight: Last year when The Shape of Water won, there was a big reaction. Everyone was happy, it clearly deserved to win. Green Book (although a good movie and I don’t want to take away from it winning) won this year, and it had no effect. Everyone was just like, “Oh, really? Oh okay.” This award is the biggest award of the night!

HCWLU Contributor

Highlight: Olivia Colman’s acceptance speech was one of the most endearing speeches I have ever heard. Her British humour, paired with her shock and being flustered to speak with all her emotions, was what made her speech that much more beautiful, not to mention her humorous comments towards fellow nominee Glenn Close and her hubby were so adorable. I hope she wins another academy award so I get to hear another speech of hers.

Lowlight: Timothée Chalamet was not nominated for his performance in Beautiful Boy. I’m heartbroken.

Amelia, Events

Highlight: Selma Blair on the red carpet took my breath away, and stole my heart. What a powerful moment! Also, Jason Momoa’s red carpet scrunchie inspired me to dig out the velvet scrunchie I bought in like, grade 10. Super into it!

Lowlight: The actual award winners just felt really underwhelming this year. Years past seemed way more exciting in comparison!

HCWLU Contributor

Highlights: Rami Malek accepting his Oscar for Best Actor; Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga performing “Shallow” at the Oscars (THAT LOOK AT THE END, I die).

Lowlight: Green Book winning best picture. I was definitely hoping for A Star is Born or Bohemian Rhapsody!

Sarah, Social Media
There you have it, Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier’s favourite and least favourite stories to emerge from awards season. And now, the countdown is on for next year!

Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.