This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Throughout my life, I’ve always had different people supporting me, whether that be family, friends, co-workers, teachers/mentors or anyone else important in my life. Usually, it’s a combination of these groups and they each play their own role in different aspects of my life. Since starting university, all of these support systems have become crucial to me.

Family has always been a value of mine and in the past few years, its importance has only grown. Throughout my time in university, I’ve struggled with mental health issues, and the first people I turn to are my family. They understand me and I know I can trust them with anything. For example, when things get really tough, I know I can count on them to be there for me, whether it’s in person or even just over the phone. As well, during the past year, my family and I have dealt with some losses, which were difficult to manage while being in school. Since they understood what I was going through, my family was able to support me and check in often to see how school was going or how I was feeling. Without them, I wouldn’t have been as in touch with my feelings or been able to process everything as well as I did.

At school, I have my friends, who I consider my second family. We know we need to be each other’s ‘home away from home’ and support each other in every way we can. My friends are always there to listen and I feel comfortable going to them with anything. Although I’ve only known them since our first year, we have become so close that they know exactly how to support me in different situations. I know I can rely on them to get me through things and their advice is always what I need to hear. There are times when I don’t share my feelings or ask for help, but my friends just know that I need them. That’s why I’m so grateful to have them; I know they’ll be there for me even when I don’t know I need them.

Support systems like these are so important for anyone in university. Even with their help, it’s hard to manage everything in life – academics, extra curriculars and life outside of school. Regardless, everyone should have people in their lives that can be their pillars, because no one should have to navigate this all alone.

It’s important for everyone to understand how crucial the need for support is. Doing everything alone is not an effective way to get through university. It will only make things harder and unenjoyable. Take some time to reflect and think about who in your life you would consider to be your support and who counts on you to be their support.

Sydney Greenwood

Wilfrid Laurier '24

I'm Sydney and this is my first year as a writer for Her Campus at WLU. I am going to write about topics related to school/academics and mental health and wellbeing. I want other women to know that what they are feeling and going through is valid and that others' can relate. I want people to find comfort in my articles and know that they are not alone. I am in my fourth year of music, concentrating in music education. I'm also working on a history minor. Outside of school and Her Campus, I enjoy baking, arts & crafts and watching true crime documentaries. As well, I love learning new things, whether it's an instrument, a fun history fact or a new hobby.