This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Sending nude photos is a form of sexting or role play that occurs through various social media platforms. The action of taking and sending a photo can be empowering, make you feel sexy and help build up sexual tension between you and the recipient of the photo for the next time you see one another. It is completely normal to feel vulnerable when taking nude photos and trying to find the perfect pose, but if you feel confident and comfortable then your photo will look amazing.

Someone asks for a nude picture

Oh, the infamous message, “send nudes.” The first question to ask yourself when you receive this type of message is to uncover if you feel comfortable sending a picture. Always be aware of the risks and consequences of sending a nude picture to someone you do or do not know. Do you trust this person? Your first priority in this situation is yourself. Be sure you are protected and safe, which can be as simple as cropping your face out of pictures or not showing any identifiable tattoos. Are you being pressured to send a photo? If your response to this question is not a hard no, then it is a hell no to sending a picture. If someone is willing to pressure or coerce you into taking and sending a nude photo, they clearly have no respect for you or your boundaries and are not trustworthy with something of such power. Moreover, as long as you feel comfortable sending a photo, go for it.

You want to send a picture

Before sending a nude picture be sure both you and the other person are comfortable with your actions. Asking for consent can ensure the picture is not startling or crosses any boundaries. Sending pictures can make you feel confident and express your love or admiration of your own body. Remember, just because you have sent a picture it does not mean the other person is obligated to reciprocate, and vice-versa. Keep reading to get some tips on taking the perfect photo.

You want someone to send a picture

Have you ever got a random DM asking for a nude picture or better yet, an unsolicited nude picture? Do not be this person. Before making any assumptions, ensure the other person would be comfortable with a message asking for a picture. If someone does not want to send a picture, it does not instantly mean they do not trust you or like you. People may be comfortable sending and receiving pictures in different points of a relationship or situation, so pressuring someone is not the play. Respect everyone’s boundaries and remember there are various other options for sexting.

Taking the perfect picture

Good lighting, a white background and a little mystery can go a long way. Finding the perfect pose can be stressful, so it may require a little experimentation. The key is confidence and comfort. Wear or do not wear what makes you feel good and show or do not show what you feel is best. Even when taking regular everyday pictures of food or the outdoors, it is hard to not be extremely critical and judgemental. Try different angles, facial expressions and showing different body parts. Embrace every part of your body and even if you are shy, you can still be flirty and sexy. Though you may feel the need to suck in your belly, enhance your breast size or cover your stretch marks, you may recognize that you feel the sexiest and confident in poses that do not force you to twist your body in uncomfortable angles.

For anyone under the age of 18, it is illegal to send nude pictures so be aware of laws and risks before partaking in this form of sexting. Sending nude photos can make you feel vulnerable and self-conscious, but remember confidence is key to making you feel sexy, empowered and in control of your body. Be sure that you are always comfortable and safe when sending pictures of yourself. If you or the other person feel pressured or coerced, then it is not consensual.

Isha Pabla

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Writing has always been a passion of Isha's, and while pursuing a major in business and computer science, she finds it wonderful to be able to exercise her creativity and activism with Her Campus. Isha enjoys writing about social justice issues, community engagement and social wellness.