Gilmore Girls Reboot!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

In case you haven’t already heard, Gilmore Girls is making a comeback, coming to a Netflix account near you!

All year, there has been speculation about a reunion show as the cast got together back in June in Austin, Texas at the ATX festival. They began with the original three Gilmore girls, who discuss their auditions, and then brought out the rest of the Stars Hollow favourites! However, Melissa McCarthy was not in attendance. They left an empty seat for Edward Hermann (who played Richard Gilmore), who passed away earlier this year.  

Since this reunion of cast members, the internet has been abuzz with rumours of a Gilmore Girls spin off or even a movie. Well, our prayers have been answered! We shall be graced with a four part series of 90 minute episodes.  

For me, the series never fully ended due to the fact that the seventh season was not written by original creators and producers of the show, Amy Sherman Palladino and Dan Palladino. Without their creative wit and quick script, the show fell apart in the end.  It was not the same and did not end how the show was supposed to. There’s a rumour that ASP always wanted it to end with “four words”, but no one knows as to what this means yet.  Now we may finally know!

Gilmore Girls is one of those shows that are relatable in so many ways, as Stars Hollow always felt like another home away from home where I know all of the inhabitants and enjoy their every day quirks. For me, I’ve always been able to continuously watch it as Rory Gilmore grows older through high school and then coming into university. I found it interesting that there was always a point where I was in the same situation as she was. The first week of university and the rush of new people and new classes were never that scary because I felt like I had gone through it with her already.

Gilmore Girls is still a show I can turn to when I feel like I need someone. It’s created great bonds between myself and other friends who share the love for the show. The bond between Lorelai and Rory in the show has brought me closer with my own mother, as we like to spend Sundays watching the reruns.

If I’m feeling lonely, I always know I can turn to Lorelai for a pop culture reference, Sookie for a clumsy moment, and Rory as someone who I can relate to in life when things may seem difficult.  It also doesn’t make me feel as guilty as I should for my slight caffeine addiction.

I know it is just a television show, but to myself and  I know many others, it is a television show that has been there for us since its airing on the WB, to now when it was added to the Netflix lineup. There will always be an audience to watch it. However, as content as I am that the show will be retuning with its original writer, there are a few things I would like answered and need to happen.

Personally, I have always been Team Logan (please put down the pitchforks and fire). I think it would be great if all three of Rory’s love interests made it back onto the show at least once to see where they are in their life. As for the posts I have read so far, most predict Logan to be off gallivanting somewhere in Europe as per usual, but I think he’s done more. I think the rejection of his proposal to Rory forced him to grow up and take his responsibilities seriously. I believe Jess is a well known writer and Dean probably got back together with Lindsay. 

Is Emily still hosting and planning events for the Daughters of the American Revolution? Due to the passing of Richard Hermann, who plays Richard, he’s no longer there to be by her side. But I don’t think that would stop someone as strong-willed and proud as Emily.

Are Lorelai and Luke married? Is the Dragonfly a nationally known Inn that has people flocking from all over to Stars Hollow?  Is Lane still in a band and did Hep Alien make it big? Is Michel still as bitter as he always has been?

Paris went to medical school, yet she cannot handle sick people, and I’m really excited to see how that ended up. I would also like to see if she told off enough people to get arrested yet.

Did Jackson’s vasectomy take or do he and Sookie have eight children now?  I also think Sookie is a well known chef, and maybe even a celebrity chef now that the food network is as popular as it is.

Is Taylor still as annoying as ever? Did Kirk get a job that finally stuck? Did Ms. Patty get married again?

There are so any questions that need to be answered and I am so thrilled that ASP is going to have an opportunity to finish the show off how she originally intended. Just another thing to keep me glued to my couch on Sundays; thanks Netflix!

Meghan Roach

Wilfrid Laurier

Meghan is the President and Publisher of Wilfrid Laurier University Student Publications looking to broaden her horizons in the world of media here at Her Campus. As a recent grad, she believes she has had a good deal of experience she can share with the young women of Laurier in this time where we are all trying to learn the art of 'adulting'. She can always be found with a coffee in her hand and looking up pictures of cats and sloths.  
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem