This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Is anyone else getting really bored with being stuck at home, but is struggling to think of something else to do since almost everything is closed? Well, now’s the perfect time to do that thing you’ve been putting off: Stop procrastinating and get your driver’s license!

As a university student living in Waterloo, there are lots of reasons to not get your license: you can bike or walk almost anywhere, car insurance and parking are expensive, there’s not a lot of time to get driving practice and driving in Waterloo is terrifying so why would you want to do it?

As someone who has made all those excuses myself, none of them are valid right now! While you won’t be able to take lessons right now because of social distancing, this is the perfect time to do some practice. Here’s why:

You have the free time

For real. You have the time. What else are you up to right now? There’s literally nothing else to do.

But in all seriousness, driving is a skill that takes a lot of practice. In our busy university lives it can be tough to find time to get your driver’s license (I’m assuming that if you don’t have your license and you’re in university it’s because you’re not really in a rush to get it, which means driving practice is an easy thing to put off), but right now, without the pressures of school and other obligations, you have the time to get out and do some driving.

The roads are quiet

One of the reasons I procrastinate driving is because I’m nervous about driving by myself on busy roads. It can be intimidating to practice on busy streets when you’re still getting comfortable driving by yourself. Now is the best time to practice, because the roads aren’t that busy. You can practice on main roads without having to worry about other cars to stress you out while you get more comfortable.

Driving by yourself is a great way to get out of the house

If you’re going stir crazy and are getting tired of going for walks, a drive is a great way to take a break from studying and get out of the house. The weather is perfect right now to drive around your town with the windows down, listening to music. Plus, driving alone is a great social distancing activity!

So that’s it. If getting your license is something you’ve been putting off doing, right now is the perfect time to get the ball rolling and start preparing so that when this quarantine ends, you can be a licensed driver! There’s really no reason not to do it. So just…just do it. Come on.

Meghan Mazzaferro

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Meghan is an English and Film Studies major who has dreamed of being a writer all her life. When she's not writing essays and watching films for class, she loves to read YA novels and rewatch her favourite TV shows for the 100th time. Proud plant mama of 24 green beauties, and willing to adopt all the dogs.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.