This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

“Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing.”

―Ellie Weise

Reflect on these words if you’re feeling down about being single on February 14th, because the day before Valentine’s Day is Galentine’s Day! This unofficial holiday is often overshadowed by Valentine’s Day, the holiday about romantic love that existed long before. But Galentine’s Day is reserved for our girlfriends and can be just as fun, so let’s understand the real meaning of this special day!

In today’s world, people often mix holidays and consumerism to the point where the original meaning of the day is lost and replaced with values that capitalism has unconsciously implemented in society. Is it necessary to profit off the gratitude for our gals? Don’t get me wrong, it’s fun to go shopping and celebrate events! But what I’m implying is that every day should be Galentine’s Day because our people are important every day. However, I want to discuss the real intention of Galentine’s Day. Of course, this holiday can mean many things to different people, but I want to focus on the top aspects of Galentine’s Day.

Galentine’s Day is about cherishing our female friendships as women. This day is for appreciating the ladies we can count on to help us feel not so alone in our journey, no matter how single we may be. Besides, friendship is the foundation of any type of positive relationship, platonic or not. Why do you think the romantic relationships that work best are usually with those who are also best friends with their significant other?

“Nearly everything I know about love, I’ve learnt from my long-term friendships with women.”

― Dolly Alderton

Galentine’s Day can also be a good reminder to not leave your friends for a man as soon as you enter a new relationship! The holiday was chosen to be the day before Valentine’s Day likely just for a fun twist. Still, how convenient is it that this day occurs before the day about romance, like a reminder to us to stick with our real ones no matter the circumstance, because some girls don’t comprehend this until it’s too late. Let’s stay loyal to our girlfriends and give Galentine’s Day more hype.

“Friendship isn’t about whom you have known the longest… it’s about who came, and never left your side.” —Mikaela Tiu

Real friends are rare, and Galentine’s Day is for these genuine people who choose to accept our authentic selves. It’s a day for us to have fun with our gals and understand the importance of these moments. Again, these are values we should treasure every day, not just on this particular holiday. Nevertheless, Galentine’s Day can be a reminder to appreciate our good friends more and have fun!

Ayse Aras

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Hi, I'm Ayse, a student at Wilfrid Laurier University who enjoys channeling their creativity into writing fun content. I'm currently in my third year, pursuing a BA in psychology. After I graduate, my goal is to study a masters abroad, since my dream is to travel A LOT. In my free time, I like to read books and listen to music, and I am also passionate about photography and writing.