This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Fall is my favourite season of the year. I love sweater weather, the leaves changing colour, pumpkin spice and most of all, Halloween! I think there’s no better way to get into the Halloween spirit than by reading scary stories so I’ve compiled a list of five of my favourite horror and thriller novels. These chilling books will get your heart racing and will be sure to give you a good scare! If you’re up for it, keep reading to find a book for this spooky season. 

Carrie by Stephen King

The first book I recommend reading is Carrie by Stephen King. Stephen King is known for his iconic horror and thriller novels, and Carrie is the first book he ever wrote. This novel is about a high school student named Carrie White. Unfortunately, Carrie has an awful home and school life. She lives alone with her overly religious and abusive mother and is bullied by her classmates daily. However, something that no one knows is that Carrie has telekinetic powers, and they don’t find out till Carrie finally decides to get the vengeance she deserves.

Behind Closed Doors by B.A Paris

The second book on the list is Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris. This novel is about newlyweds Jack and Grace Angel. From the outside, the two seem like the most perfect couple. Jack is a handsome and successful attorney, while Grace is a kind and elegant homemaker. In addition to having it all together, they are madly in love. However, individuals start getting suspicious when they realize how closed-off Grace is. She never answers the phone, carries no personal belongings and never goes anywhere without Jack. Can a couple really be this inseparable, or is there something else the two are hiding?

The Perfect Family by Robyn Harding

Another fantastic novel is The Perfect Family by Robyn Harding, which was actually published this year! This book takes place in a suburban neighbourhood, home to the Adler family. Thomas and Viv Adler are the parents of two bright and courteous children. They have successful jobs and a lovely home. Everyone in the neighbourhood is envious of this picture-perfect family. However, one day they wake up to find that their porch has been egged. What seems like an innocent prank by some kids in the neighbourhood is actually the start of a thrilling story filled with secrets and lies.

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena

Additionally, I recommend reading The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena. Anne and Marco Conti are new parents to an adorable baby girl named Cora. One night, they decide to have dinner at their neighbours’ house, and while doing so they leave Cora alone at home. The couple assumes that nothing can go wrong, as they’re just next door and she’ll be asleep. But when they return home, they find that their baby is missing. Secrets are spilled and suspicion rises as everyone seems to have some link to this horrendous crime.

Pet Sematary by Stephen King

And finally, my personal favourite on this list, Pet Sematary by Stephen King. Stephen King has previously said that this is the most frightening book he has ever written. This is why I would advise you to read with caution. This book is about the Creed family. Louis Creed and his family decide to move to Maine from Chicago when he gets offered a new job. When they move into their new place, they discover a pet cemetery behind their home. This cemetery was created by children in the area so that they could bury their dead pets. However, as time goes on, Louis realizes that it isn’t the pet cemetery that’s disturbing, but what’s beyond it.

If these summaries sound interesting to you, make sure you pick up one of these books to read more and get into the spooky season spirit!

Elvan Ulkuseven

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Elvan is in her 2nd year at Wilfrid Laurier University studying Business Administration (BBA), with a minor in French. Her passions include reading and baking. She is very excited to be writing for Her Campus this year!