Five Reasons Why it’s Great to Study in Waterloo, ON

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Waterloo is the city where you will spend around four years of your life! It’s a student-focused community full of passionate individuals, local supporters and opportunities.  I’ve developed a list of some of the things that make studying in this town so great!

1. We know how to throw a partyBe it Homecoming or St. Patty’s Day, we go all out. What’s that? You’ve never heard of the St. Patrick’s Day block party on Ezra Street? You must be new. Mark your calendar, ladies and gents. You’re about to see a lot of purple, gold and green in your future!

2. K/W is where the Entrepreneurial Spirit LivesIf you’ve got a spark of entrepreneurial spirit, Kitchener/Waterloo is the right place for you. Commonly referred to as the startup community, our city is home to The Communitech Hub, a place where tech startups are supported in all stages of their company’s growth. The Hub houses the Laurier LaunchPad and the University of Waterloo’s Velocity Garage. Here, both students and alumni are given space to begin their startup, network and learn more about creating their own business.

3. The Art and Music SceneLiving in Waterloo means that you are surrounded by art, music and theatre. From our campus to the city, it’s never a dull moment. The Clay and Glass museum, the Jazz Room and the K/W Little Theatre are only a few of the ways that the arts are represented in this community.

There are many festivals held throughout the year to entertain the public. Two popular events have been the Nuit Blanche styled contemporary art shows: Night Shift and the Summer Lights Festival. In the past these all-night events have included rooftop raves, art displays, music and poetry performances, and of course the company of local food trucks. 

Learn more about the Summer Lights Festival on their website

4. Everything LocalK/W has amazing local and independent businesses. From consignment stores and specialty shops to unique restaurants and cafes, there is always something new to discover. Uptown Waterloo is your number one access to all things chic, unique and fantastique. Unit Five in Uptown Waterloo and Gloss in Kitchener are your thrift shop stops.

Looking for something to eat? Our very own Jane Bond Café was featured on Food Network’s ‘You’ve Gotta Eat Here’! It’s right down the street! Cafes such as Death Valleys Little Brother, Princess Café and Café 1842 are where students can get some work done as well.

5. MarketsKitchener Market and St. Jacobs Farmers’ Market are excellent for stocking up on locally grown products. Weekend plans with the roommates just got that much more interesting. Buying from markets is a great way to support the local food movement!

Learn more about St. Jacobs Farmers’ Market on their website

Chasya Dove

Wilfrid Laurier

English and Communications student at Wilfrid Laurier University with a passion for my city. Discovering Waterloo, ON has become my hobby from music festivals, arts shows, local restaurants and hidden coffee spots this place has got it all! With my passion for photography I strive to capture the moment, while learning that sometimes it's best to just let things be.
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.